Angry Gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Are you talking about this 3g eclipse? The tank is only 12" long, and I'd guess your boy is about 2.5-3" long... not very far to swim.

I wouldn't put a dwarf gourami in anything smaller than a 5g rectangular tank this one has a seamless look which is popular these days, and it's 16.5" long.

But if you have to decide between a 0.5g "tank" and the 3g, please upgrade to the 3g. I suggested the 10g because you said you already had a couple in storage, which wouldn't cost you anything to set up.

GuppyGirl1230

Snails, Guppies and Corys, OH MY!!!
Jul 14, 2010
Westminster, Colorado
Real Name
Maribeth
Are you talking about this 3g eclipse? The tank is only 12" long, and I'd guess your boy is about 2.5-3" long... not very far to swim.

I wouldn't put a dwarf gourami in anything smaller than a 5g rectangular tank this one has a seamless look which is popular these days, and it's 16.5" long.

But if you have to decide between a 0.5g "tank" and the 3g, please upgrade to the 3g. I suggested the 10g because you said you already had a couple in storage, which wouldn't cost you anything to set up.
:iagree:

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
There's also the 6.6g bookshelf aquarium from Petco. Very nice long, low footprint. Good for the fish and live plants! Search the reviews here on AC for a nice write-up.

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
I like that 5g u showed me. Its smaller than a 10g and i could put it in more places. I guess i wouldnt mind cleaning one more tank every week for this guy. Next paycheck will be getting that 5g =D

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
Mine has been fine in his home for ~5 months now. He lunge-chases the platys and molly for a sec or two here and there(and a GBR I used to have), but they are too quick. He doesn't bother at all with the corries(even though a few of the sterbai are quite large now). No damage of any kind ever though. I think he more or less 'blows' at them.

But he's that much of a problem, and re-arranging has not fixed anything, just take him back to a LFS and try another.

Last edited:

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
Well i dont want another Dwarf Gourami, im just stuck with this one. My Mother (Absolutely loves animals) forced me to take the gourami out of the .5 and back into the 37g. She says that if the betta and my dwarf got along, my blue gourami should eventually get along with him too. Well believe it or not, its working. My Blue Gourami ignores him after only one night in the aquarium. He still darts toward the dwarf when he sees him but stops after the dwarf takes off. Seems like this guy is gonna be fine. He doesnt mess with the larger fish in my 37g, and he better not mess with my swordtail, i finally found a my perfect green swordtail!

RavenX

Registered Member
Sep 1, 2010
I wish I were closer to you I'd take him. My dwarf is in a 10 now but I think I'm gonna get my 20H out of storage (just needs a new hood) I want some blues and they need room to run. I use Green foxtail to plant em down the plants are super simple to keep and grow tall and bushy. gourami seem to like high up hidey holes and the foxtails deliver. my 10 is actually kind of a strange place the dwarf hanging in with 2 small koi a plex and a pictus. I need to get the pictus some friends but I don't wanna push the tank more than it is. Everyone seems happy and the territories are pretty well mapped with koi on the right pictus at bottom left and gourami in the upper left with the deeper growth of plants.

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
Sad news. When i switched all my fish over to my 55g, my Blue Gourami and my Dwarf Gourami went at it while i wasnt home. They both passed away from their wounds. =(

Squad Leader

AC Members
Oct 12, 2010
Sorry to hear about the losses. I have 13 gourami in my 90 gallon tank right now while trying to put together the stocking list of Mbuna that I want. I started with 4 dwarfs. 2 of them died from bloat like symptoms very shortly after getting them. The 2 that I have left are extremely aggressive. The larger flame dwarf challenges all comers has to be put into his place regularly. None of mine have gotten to the point that they kill one another off. Mostly just chasing and at most, fin nipping. They are almost as exciting to watch as a friend's Mbuna tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store