Any suggestions for 5 gallon tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
hmmmm.... maybe a pair of platies or guppies.

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
my friend has 2 females living very peacefully in a Marineland 5G corner tank for about a year and a half now. maybe its not all female bettas that are this tempermental, but it works for her.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
by pair I mean two of the same sex. I should have elaborated that. and it does work sometimes, but the last time I tried it, I had 1 dead and 1 almost dead female betta.....

icecubez189

User Registered!
Feb 15, 2006
Queens, New York
akapaul26 said:
it would be a mansion for a beta! I just got a dwarf puffer for my 5 gallon.
hows the dwarf puffer?

sometime in the future (maybe 1 year from now? im going off to college next year, so i don't want to commit to anything right now) i want to use my 10G for some dwarf puffers, maybe 1 male and 3 females. it'll also be my first time using sand as substrate because i think puffers and sand look perfect for each other.

is feeding difficult? i know they are picky with food.

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
fishcatch22 said:
but the last time I tried it, I had 1 dead and 1 almost dead female betta.....
That's pretty much how my attempt at keeping two female bettas in a 5g turned out - or would have turned out - they were constantly fighting until I removed one.

Last edited:

ScorpioMonkey

Hardware Chick
Jul 22, 2006
Salisbury, Maryland
home.comcast.net
Go with a Dwarf Puffer!

plah831

Am I mod enough?
Apr 29, 2006
Monterey Bay, CA
icecubez189 said:
hows the dwarf puffer?

is feeding difficult? i know they are picky with food.
akapaul's dp died the other day (see his thread about 5 gal stocking in General Chit Chat). it was very thin and I thought it had internal parasites. Rowangel believes it may have just starved because stores don't feed them propertly. They just give all their fish flakes, and dp's will not eat flakes.

So, yeah, they can be difficult to feed. Mine would only eat live blackworms, but I've managed to wean them onto frozen bloodworms after weeks of training. I can give you details if you want, when the time comes. I want to try some human-grade shrimp, too, and probably mussels or clams. I am a big proponent of variety, but it's so dang hard with these guys. A few people have "good" dp's that will accept all kinds of foods readily. But I'd say far more have problems getting them to eat.

webcricket

(So chill.) No wonder it's freezing
Mar 22, 2006
Syracuse, NY
I just got my DPs yesterday and they were quite thin. The shipment had actually just got to the store so I imagine the fish hadn't eaten at all recently. One poor little guy was hanging out up by the intake of the filter staring at it - I think he thought it was a worm cone.

Lucky for me my guys gorged on snails as soon as they hit the planted tank. Today I dumped in some frozen Hikari bloodworms and they got excited and ate them no problem, thank goodness!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store