Anybody here ever heard about emerald green cories?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i think you could have bottom dwellers (maybe 3 cories) or an adf but not both. any food that gets down there would probably be stolen right out from under his nose before he could eat it. any more than three cories and you would strongly be pushing your stocking limits.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
You can keep them in any number you like. I don't understand where people get these numbers...do the fish talk and tell us how many friends they want?

Yes it is true that schooling fish show more natural activity and are more enjoyable to watch in larger groups, but it is not a requirement for keeping them nor does it do anything to enhance their overall health or well being. Much less there is a minimum magic number.

Anyway, I have three so far and I plan to get a few more in my 55g tank. They're basically like corys in their needs but are larger, have more rays in their dorsal fin, and a more elongated snout.

I am half considering the purchase of a few aeneus corys just to see if they might school together.

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
I think Brochis has more rays on their dorsal (top) fin and it has more of an S curve than the green Corydoras.

C barbatus is so darn big and differently-shaped that I'm surprised they haven't moved it into a new genus.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
I've got 4 Brochis "Emerald Cories" in my 55g along with 2 Peppered and one Arched. They have a distinctly different body shape, althought not so much that they look really different from true Corydoras. They play, pile up, and swim up to the surface and tend to be more active that the Cories. Mine are @3 inches; I've had them around 3 months and they haven't increased noticeably in size yet. I adore them!!! I'd love to have a whole tank full of them. Just my 2 taters' worth. :rolleyes:

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
echoofformless said:
You can keep them in any number you like. I don't understand where people get these numbers...do the fish talk and tell us how many friends they want?

Yes it is true that schooling fish show more natural activity and are more enjoyable to watch in larger groups, but it is not a requirement for keeping them nor does it do anything to enhance their overall health or well being. Much less there is a minimum magic number.

Anyway, I have three so far and I plan to get a few more in my 55g tank. They're basically like corys in their needs but are larger, have more rays in their dorsal fin, and a more elongated snout.

I am half considering the purchase of a few aeneus corys just to see if they might school together.
Hi,

I get these numbers from experts like David Alderton.
No, Cories don't talk to us, but we learn from their behaviors in the wild and try to replicate them in our aquarium as best we can. Cories in the wild live in larges shoals and not singlely.

Cory Lover

echoofformless

Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
Cory Lover said:
Hi,

I get these numbers from experts like David Alderton.
No, Cories don't talk to us, but we learn from their behaviors in the wild and try to replicate them in our aquarium as best we can. Cories in the wild live in larges shoals and not singlely.

Cory Lover
Absolutely...but these specific number seem to me just something that people like to toss around. Naturally I am not a cory expert and I don't pretend to be, though I seriously question how a supposed expert can come up with an exact number like six. Is there really that much of a noticeable difference between having five and having six?

I guess all of my life I have been the guy who questions everything; even the scientists. They are known to be incorrect often enough. :dive2:

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
In the wild cories swim in groups by the thousands, so even six is not nearly enough. But it is for sure better than 2 or 3. And they do benefit in health by being in larger groups. Many shoaling fish will die an early death if kept in groups too small.

echoofformless

Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
fballguy said:
In the wild cories swim in groups by the thousands, so even six is not nearly enough. But it is for sure better than 2 or 3. And they do benefit in health by being in larger groups. Many shoaling fish will die an early death if kept in groups too small.
True, but is there empirical data, from conclusive well-controlled experiments to prove such a thing?

I just have a problem taking the information that I am given when it regards such things that are largely non-mathematical and can't be shown as hard fact.

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
echoofformless said:
You can keep them in any number you like. I don't understand where people get these numbers...do the fish talk and tell us how many friends they want?....
If you listen real carefully at night when the filter is off, you can hear them talking...or maybe its jsut me...:D

fballguy

yum
Feb 27, 2006
Everett, WA
www.freshwaterfanatics.com
echoofformless said:
True, but is there empirical data, from conclusive well-controlled experiments to prove such a thing?

I just have a problem taking the information that I am given when it regards such things that are largely non-mathematical and can't be shown as hard fact.
Is there data that says stunting is bad for fish? No, at least not that I can find, but its true is it not?

These numbers on shoaling fish come from people who have spent years observing the behavior of fish, so they probably know what they are talking about.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store