Anyone kept a Channel Catfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FatCatFever

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2002
New York
Visit site
Bullhead/Cats

Hi folks, nice board here! Have a question. Started out the size of a tadpole, is currently 2-3 inches long. Not sure what it is, cat/bully. Would like to get more, any ideas?

PredatorFish

AC Members
Apr 11, 2002
Manchester, MI
Does that fish have a forked tail or a round tail. Bullheads have round tails and channel cats have forked tails. Cannel cats a for sale at almost every pet shop in Michigan and I think it probably the same in Ohio. I did have a bullhead in a tank for a while. He was neat but my Blood Parrot and Texan Convict killed him.

big mo tro cat

AC Members
Dec 18, 2002
illinois
Visit site
ive got a illinois lake channel cat that was caught wild out of a local lake. hes about 8 inches and pretty cool. seems to do just fine in the warm water with the tropical catfish. very skittish though. he hides in his clay pot and never comes out anymore than to poke its head out to suck up pellets. i think it may be illegal in this state to keep the wild caught catfish too. not sure though.

tyler

safety...
Nov 28, 2002
Fargo, ND
www.angelfire.com
not that anybody (but us nodaks) cares, but from the aforementioned site

10. TRANSPORTATION AND STOCKING
Possession or transportation of any live fish, live fish eggs, live amphibians, or other live aquatic organisms, shall be illegal except for:
- Licensed anglers transporting legal bait and/or legally caught game fish.
- Dealers of tropical fish species for the pet trade sold by commercial outlet.
- Individuals in possession of the appropriate license or permit from the game and fish director.

It shall be illegal to import any live bait or Bait fish without a legal and valid North Dakota bait vendors license.

Stocking of any live fish, live fish eggs, live amphibians, or other live aquatic organisms into any waters of the state shall be illegal except with the appropriate license or permit issued by the game and fish director.

waterspirit

Charlie don't surf...
Dec 11, 2002
Oak Grove, KY
Visit site
Interesting question...

I have heard of people keeping very small channel cats in an aquarium. I have also heard that they grow slowly, but thats neither here nor there.
Interesting factoid for you all though...

At wheeler dam in Alabama, they sent divers down one time to inspect. They came up and refused to go back down, saying there were catfish sitting in the mud at the bottom of the dam that were big enough to eat them:eek:

gravel digger

AC Members
Dec 21, 2002
white plains maryland
Visit site
great fish to own, held his own up to about 10 inches then a snakehead decided he did not like him anymore and pretty much cut him in two. they were raised together from about an inch and a half to the 10/11 inch size the cat was when the snake head finsihed him off. i never got another but i did love that fish, great color and personality!!!!!

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
Arctic_Fishery, I have an albino channel catfish in an outdoor pond. Right now it is a little over a foot long. It loves to eat goldfish flakes,floating pond fish pellets(the kind you feed fish in a pond like bluegill and such),sinking shrimp wafers,worms, and tadpoles are probabley his favorite. It is fun to watch him chase them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store