Anyone kept a Channel Catfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stephen

There's always a bigger fish...
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
The channel cat and blue cats I've purchased at the local fish stores around here and kept usually grow really fast. My experience has been, get them at 2" in 4-6 months they are 10". I've got a huge outdoor pond for the outgrowing the tank problem though. I'm not real fond of the looks of large native catfish in an aquarium. They do however keep the outdoor pond nice and clean. Last year during the summer I put in 2 10" blues and 2 10" channels. I'll let you know how much they've grown over the fall and winter when I clean it out this spring. They might be headed for our farm pond if they are too big.

One raising them it's pretty simple. They will eat anything. But really liked those tetra min tablets. Chicken liver was ravaged too. It's messy though and you'll need a good filtration system and regular water changes. They will do fine in colder temps also.

I noticed someone said something about bullheads. We call them mudcats around here. You can find them in huge schools swimming in shallow water after they big ones spawn. Very easy to scoop up a bunch in a net. I've actually kept some and they grew a lot slower that channels and blues. They don't get as big in the wild either. They liked to be in schools. I fish sometimes and catfishing for the 40 pound blues in a local river is a perfect night out for me. But the mud cats (bullheads) make it miserable. They will eat anything. And although easy to catch, they can steal soft bait from your hooks like champs.

latazyo

Grisled
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by Firefighter
But the mud cats (bullheads) make it miserable. They will eat anything. And although easy to catch, they can steal soft bait from your hooks like champs.

AMEN

waterspirit

Charlie don't surf...
Dec 11, 2002
Oak Grove, KY
Visit site
double amen to that :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store