Aquatic bamboo plant??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SpitRhyma

AC Members
Oct 16, 2007
You don't need an opening... just need a tank tall enough to fit the bamboo... if you don't... cut the bamboo, and either use rockwool or stick it in a part of your aquarium where there's mostly fine sand (i put sand in my corners sometimes for my crabs to burrow although they never do). It should root in 72-84 degree water so all you have to do is make sure some of the stem is in a dark snug place.

BTW: Other types of bamboo may work for a short period of time but will usually foul the water up after 2 weeks... I suggest experimenting in a bowl if you have doubts... don't use those hollow breeds of bamboo.

Lucky bamboo is the ultimate aquatic plant for people w/ cheap lighting because they can grow with even the natural daylight that shines into your room. Plus they grow beautiful dark green leaves. You can keep them alive in a completely dark place for a long time. VERY hardy plants. I keep all my plants fully submerged and my bamboo is doing the best even though it's in the corner where it gets little light.

How do you think they curl it? They put it in a dark place w/ a tiny hole to reveal a little light... the bamboo then curls towards the light and they keep rotating it until it is ready.

eaglesandfish

AC Members
Nov 12, 2007
Porter TX
Well it looks like some have had good luck with "lucky bamboo", while others have not. I like the way it looks, so im thinking of setting up a test tank and giving it a try.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Well it looks like some have had good luck with "lucky bamboo", while others have not. I like the way it looks, so im thinking of setting up a test tank and giving it a try.
Cool

vampie

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
New York, NY
"Lucky bamboo" isn't aquatic, but it is very, very hardy and could probably live a year or more fully submerged. Likely, people who've kept them underwater haven't done so for very long.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I tried it 3 stalks.. two are now not submerged after quite a bit of time they do start to go bad.

but if you lift part of it out of the tank it will be fine.

it is not a submerged species.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
I see it more and more at the chains all the time.

Choco

AC Members
Jan 12, 2008
I

I've had a bamboo plant in my office for over 3 years...
It is in a bowl with 3" water, no gravel, a few pebble decoration

I think that's the way it is meant to be planted (root & bottom part fully submerged, but not the upper portion)
The plant has grown a bit over the year (approx. from 12" -> 18" tall now)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store