Arapaima Pond Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
Lol, its actually kindof funny, my dad who knows nothing about fish keeping or computers called me up the other day to see how things were going with "that fish hobby" and I was telling him about how cool your situation is...a free [I know right? :rofl:] arapaima...can i come to Thailand and fish in storm drains with you some time?

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Grrr....only Tuesday and busy like crazy here. Maybe even Saturday can't do anything.
Let's hope that at least we can take the old pond out and move it onto the concrete ramp.
Then from there start digging up the 2nd half of the pond.

On the bright side of it, we have plenty of cleared out area to setup the temporary pond.
Confident that we can lift it out using the cable-rings in the liner, then just slowly lower it on the concrete.
Then set up supports at the side and start filling up with water.
Each time lowering the liner a bit more until it's bottom is flush with the side-walls.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Lucky, Saturday customer cancelled.
So have my regular ppl in the factory.
We will start constructing a 'metal fence' first, square of 2x2 meters.
Then rig up all the liner-rings with ropes.
Remove pump and steel construction around the pump.
Pump out the water to minimum level.
Hook the ropes to the fork-lift.
Lift it slightly, then start removing the supporting sandbag-wall on one side.
Lift it further up, move it to the left and then over the concrete wall.

Once we're clear from the pond-area, slowly lower it and fix the fence around it.
Put sandbags around to support the fence.
Start filling the liner and lowering it at the same time until sides reach the metal fences.
After that it's a matter of further filling and connecting pump and filterdrum.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
So much for Saturday...we did some important work, but far less than hoped for, another audit coming 3rd April, so not much time.
Anyhow, the important thing was to move Mr. T's pond. So we took cable-trays, screwed them together in a big square.
Took ropes and tied up all the sides of the liner, then took out some of the sandbags, pumped out most of the water and then lifted the liner out with a forklift-truck.
Mr. T. was not happy, but gave up protesting and we started putting sandbags around the metal rack, used the pump to empty a couple of large drums into his pond and slowly lowered the liner which then settled against the steel racks.
Once the water was high enough, we untied the liner from the forklift and hooked them to the supports.

All working wonderful again, filter ok, Mr. T. very happy as it's much bigger than before.

Took out the steel structures from his old location, but all the sandbags still there. Hope next week we can start digging.

Pictures...

P3310288.jpgP3310282.jpgP3310287.jpgP3310284.jpgP3310283.jpg

P3310288.jpg P3310282.jpg P3310287.jpg P3310284.jpg P3310283.jpg

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Wow, this is far more work than I ever imagined. Great job, Luc. I'll be watching for Mr. T in his beautiful new home.

Goodcreature

AC Members
Sep 9, 2011
You know you're a true fish fanatic when you're willing to put forth that much effort.
Mr. T is in good hands.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Thanks Jannika, GoodCreature...lol, tell my wife about it. Nah, she supports anything that keeps me happy at home...
Did some work yesterday, sandbags all out of the pond, maybe some digging today.
pretty much decided to go with a second bottom drain and skimmer. No mid level drain.
maybe on Friday I can start the second vortex build.

Cheers,
luc

bettalover77

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Real Name
Alex
updates?
pictures of Mr. T?
I am enjoying this thread... Great job!
:popcorn:

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Hello BettaLover77. Thanks for enjoying it, there are a couple of pictures I did not post here yet, but in short:
- Mr.T. doing well, his new temporary home is very good in terms of space and dept, perfect to keep him happy for a while.
- for the new pond, I finished the work for the second settling tank yesterday. Only need to epoxy the 90' elbow in the bottom and then start digging.
- 2nd bottom drain is ok, will need to get an airline in, then dig the shape and set it in concrete.
- hope to finish the rough pond work next week, let's see if I can keep that schedule.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store