Are my fish cold

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WeezyNino23

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
Do fish give off signs that show that they are cold..... my water always seems cold but it isn't but it seems like my fish might be cold.

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
When fish get cold they slow down because they depend on the heat from their environment they are ectotherms. The best way to know if they are OK is to have a thermometer and watch the temperature of the water and make sure it's appropriate for your type of fish. What do you have?

WeezyNino23

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
Well see heres the thing.. i have like the strip that tells me its at a good temp. the have been swimming around the heater a lot but. instead of slowing down the swim faster so i guess thats good.

rocker92

Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Sep 29, 2008
Minnesota
what kind of fish????? and what is the current temp. of the tank???? please use a digital therm. or a glass....the strips arnt that accurate!

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Generally fish will become more lethargic or slow down considerably when they are cold or not warm enough. This is really evident in such fish as Discus. They really slow down if their water is not warm enough. What kind of fish do you have and what is the temp. in the tank?

Marinemom

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
I agree with Rocker - get a good thermometer. Glass thermometers are really inexpensive at Petsmart or Petco. Do you know if the water is good - do you test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH.

leeser28

AC Members
Jan 4, 2009
Croton-on-Hudson, NY
How big is your tank?

WeezyNino23

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
I agree with Rocker - get a good thermometer. Glass thermometers are really inexpensive at Petsmart or Petco. Do you know if the water is good - do you test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH.
Yes they are all perfect i tested them the other day w/ my friends kit.( which is very good and accurate).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store