Are there any puffers for a 30g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
oops! I think I had my sizes mixed up! *blush* I don't have much experience with BW, so please pardon my ignorance. but I know puffers are fairly beligirent towards their own kind.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
I did read that the fig. 8 is slightly less aggressive than the green or greenspotted puffers.. So then 2 would be ok right? I'm just trying to figure out how I'm suppose to heavily plant a BW tank...any suggetions on that one? especially if the salinaty is around 1.010?

Thanks,

Gin

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
well, I guess you could keep two, provided there are visual barriers to prevent scrapiness.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
If I can get plants to grow in there I will definatley be adding many plants, and rather the plants work or not I will add lots of rock work, caves ect.. So I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Well maybe I should check into some of the FW puffs too just in case but I think I really have my heart set on the fig. 8 THEY ARE SOOO ADORABLE!!
Thanks everyone!

Gin

Last edited:

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Ok, now I'm glad I did look at the FW puffs I found, Tetraodon lineatus (south American) and it say's it's more peaceful than most puffers and can be kept in groups, it slightly reminds me of the fig8 although I do believe that is still my fav. now I have some thinking to do and figuring out what I really want.
On to the FW section to see if anyone has experience with these guys and any advice.
Thanks everyone for your help!

perek

AC Members
Jun 24, 2006
gstoffer said:
Ok, now I'm glad I did look at the FW puffs I found, Tetraodon lineatus (south American) and it say's it's more peaceful than most puffers and can be kept in groups, it slightly reminds me of the fig8 although I do believe that is still my fav. now I have some thinking to do and figuring out what I really want.
On to the FW section to see if anyone has experience with these guys and any advice.
Thanks everyone for your help!
Are you kidding? Fahakas get 18" long and are one of the least tolerant of tankmates of ANY fw fish. They will kill anything in the tank with them, ESPECIALLY conspecies.

Red-eye red-tail puffers are sexually dimorphic and therefore you can get a group of females with one male. Dwarf puffers are usually not to bad if male rivalrys are kept to a min.

Really though F8s are the nicest puffers there are and two would do great in that tank.

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
I don't think they were called Fahakas, I'll have to back to the site and see what it said to be sure, but it said they only get 3-4 inches? I'm probley going to end up with the fig 8s anyway they just seem to be my favorites and I keep going back and looking at them...I just love em.

Would they go ok with bumble bee gobies? I know I couldn't get much in a 30 gallon tank but I just love them so much too, I wanted to get them along with orange chromides when I got my viloet gobie then I read where gobies don't get along well with their own species so I didn't get them, would they work in this set up? (Not the orange chromides, just the bb gobie).

Thanks so much,

Ginger

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
I put the wrong scientific name....sorry about that :duh: the one I was talking about is actually called colomesus asellus.

perek

AC Members
Jun 24, 2006
gstoffer said:
I put the wrong scientific name....sorry about that :duh: the one I was talking about is actually called colomesus asellus.
Yea those fellows are from a totally different continent. :D

South American Puffers (SAPs) are very active and require extra care requirments that are not advisable to the beginning puffer keeper. Just get an F8, you will be glad you did. :)

perek

AC Members
Jun 24, 2006
gstoffer said:
I don't think they were called Fahakas, I'll have to back to the site and see what it said to be sure, but it said they only get 3-4 inches? I'm probley going to end up with the fig 8s anyway they just seem to be my favorites and I keep going back and looking at them...I just love em.

Would they go ok with bumble bee gobies? I know I couldn't get much in a 30 gallon tank but I just love them so much too, I wanted to get them along with orange chromides when I got my viloet gobie then I read where gobies don't get along well with their own species so I didn't get them, would they work in this set up? (Not the orange chromides, just the bb gobie).

Thanks so much,

Ginger
I have heard of success with bumblebee gobies with F8s. F8s are probably one of the nicest of all puffer species. Just get you puffer eating dead food first so that they wont see the BB's as food. Add one BB at a time. Be warned that getting them food might prove challenging since F8s love the bloodworms that BB's eat and can outcompete for food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store