Are there any puffers for a 30g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Yes, I think I've made up my mind....I'm going with the f8!! I have looked at them and the GSP's for so long I would be silly to change my mind now, I know I'd regret it later "I should of got the f8 :sad: " that's exactly what I'd be saying!

Thanks so much, once I am able to get them I'll be back for advice and guidence. I have to get the set up first though, so it will be a little bit. Lets see I've got the tank, I need the substrate- eco.complete cichlid sand I believe or should I go with the seachem or regular sand? Then they need extra filtration right so a airpump or extra filter? Rocks/cave and plants but what plant for a BW..Java fern, moss, anacharis? Anything I am missing that I need before the f8s? :huh:

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
nope, good to go!!!

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
Which substrate would ya'll recomend? What do you have in yours?

Now on for the best deals for all needed things for my new babies :D

perek

AC Members
Jun 24, 2006
gstoffer said:
Which substrate would ya'll recomend? What do you have in yours?

Now on for the best deals for all needed things for my new babies :D
Crushed Coral, its a puffers friend. :joke:

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
K, then that settles it crushed coral it is then!!

Thanks again!
:dance:

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
FWIW I have kept 3 fig8's together for a couple years. Back when I fist got them I pretty much determined they were the least aggrssive of any puffer (although I am no puffer expert). After keeping them now for a while I would have to agree they are quite passive - well atleast mine are. There is one that the color pattern is 'messed up' and the more dominant one sometimes bullies this one around but its not often and I have never actually seen them fight, the squigly patern one just kinda leaves the area. I know my brackish tank is way overstocked, but the puffers seem to do fine. I plan on giving them thier own tank with the 2 gobies, looking for a home for the mono and scat. I cant amagine them getting much more than 3" or 4" long, mine are probably at 2" - 2.5".

Last edited:

justintoxicated

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
crushed coral is horrible for a planted tank substrate. it won't hold any plants down. But the only thing I would probably attempt to grow in brackish water would probably be Java Fern anyways...

Just keep it in mind though.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
Ok, now I'm glad I did look at the FW puffs I found, Tetraodon lineatus (south American) and it say's it's more peaceful than most puffers and can be kept in groups, it slightly reminds me of the fig8 although I do believe that is still my fav.

:cool: I believe you're right. The 'Target Puffer' would be a good choice for your set up.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=956
Good Luck

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
FWIW - Knowing I'm a bit late jumping in here, I love my figure 8. I've had him over a year now in a 29 gallon tank with one dalmation molly and a knight goby. They all get along great. Be sure and feed your figure 8 lots of crunchy foods like small pond/ramshorn (not the fancy ramshorns - just common ones) snail to help wear his teeth down. Other things that work are freeze dried or frozen krill, shell on human shrimp (raw), and raw muscles from the grocery store. Otherwise, the puff's teeth will get too long. My little pig also loves bloodworms and the algae flake food I feed my molly. You only need to feed the crunchy/meaty foods every other day when they're adults.

As for plants, my java fern did poorly because if it developed ANY brown spot my puffer bites it (I think he thinks the brown spot is a snail). Java moss is doing great, and my silk plants thrive :sim: .

Eric

Lady G

Oct 6, 2005
WI
I am still going back and forth on things here, but I do have a little while before I'll be ready to set this tank up and decide...I'm pretty sure I am going with the fig 8 and either the bb gobie or knight gobie for tank mates.. some java moss, possibly try java fern and some sort of val or something...I have to look it up again but I did come across a site with different types of plants that may do well in bw tank. If I go this route I am thinking I'll use the eco-complete or eco-complete cichlid sand mix so I will have a plant substrate and then just add some crushed coral to the filter if needed.

But then I keep going back to the "target puffer" and I really like that one too..but I don't know how hard it would be to find one of these.

Well I'll figure it all out eventually, but like I said I do have a while to figure it out..I still have to finish setting up my 75.

Oh yeah, and Eric...glad to hear your "silk" plants are holding up so well (I wondered how they'd do) :p:

Thanks to everyone for all your advise and suggestions!!

Gin

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store