Automatic top off system

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joander123

what a fruitcake
Jan 12, 2007
Massachusetts
lol "your welcome" buddy.

Its not to hard to make, it does take a little extra planning, but it does work well. Only advice on that is make sure you get a quality float switch, as the one i purchased at first was very cheap, and ended up failing.

OldManOfTheSea

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Hillsborough NC
lol "your welcome" buddy.

Its not to hard to make, it does take a little extra planning, but it does work well. Only advice on that is make sure you get a quality float switch, as the one i purchased at first was very cheap, and ended up failing.

joander123, for me young man most things to do with the tanks be hard for me for I cannot bend as you can or stay on my knees for to long a period which was why I but all this trust in one LFS person and as most now know it, that I had put my trust in the wrong person. So for the most of the things these days, I need to pay others to do these things for me.

Its like that person I was trusting these past years that I been telling him that I know what I want and what I wanted to do for he took it on himself to not put in the lights I been paying for and for now I see that the ballast will run me $1,600 and the 250 watts MH that will burn on both ends, they will run me $700+ making the rest of the equipment on this with labor run me more then $3,000 somewhere.

For if not for my disability, I would be able to put those in myself along with the sump> I wouldn`t then had waited as long as I done with Jeff at fish world>

joander123, im a old hand at practice in this hobby and know to get the best over the cheap any day for it was like when I had the ballast question and one person provided a link to some real cheap ballast that it would even cost $1,500 to do the lights again. But being that I want the best, its costing me.

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
You start to not care so much about the price when you start researching nano's and realize your salinity can reach harmful lows in a day.

Subliminal

AC Members
Feb 21, 2007
Princeton, NJ
I'm just saying there are much cheaper alternatives for like results. Not saying someone shouldn't go that route, just surprised at the cost some get from some of these top off items, when in effect they should just turn a pump on and off based on a float sensor.

rsw686

AC Members
Feb 27, 2007
Virginia
Some things I've picked up along my way:

1. www.autotopoff.com

2. When you hook up the system, put it on a home depot timer (like your lights) and have it turn on for a few minutes a few times a day. This really limits the amount of flooding your system can do.

Ok, not that much info...but it's something. ;)
Thats one of the nicer ATO units I've seen. What I like the most is how it mounts to the sump. Thats a solid bracket there. Most are cheaper brackets that look like they could fall in. This is going on my list of things I need to buy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store