Baby Box Turtle

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Just an update. The boxy is doing great and eating like a pig! So far I've got it to eat Reptomin, cichlid pellets, Massivore, cut up shrimp, earthworms and it's favorite....baby dubia roaches.

Baby1.jpg
Baby2.jpg
Baby3.jpg
Baby4.jpg
Baby5.jpg
Baby6.jpg

Baby1.jpg Baby3.jpg Baby4.jpg Baby2.jpg Baby6.jpg Baby5.jpg

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Probably just for the year. I'll let it go the following spring on my parents property. They have a nice area that I know it would be pretty safe to live in.

I usually keep turtles I've hatched indoors for their first year of life. In the wild hatchling Box Turtles have close to a 90% mortality rate their first year of life. Lots of predators would love to eat a newly hatched, plump little turtle. By keeping them in captivity they can gain quite a bit of size in their first year plus it gives the turtle's shell a chance to harden some. Once they reach the age of 5-6 in the wild their chance of survival increases because they have gained size and shell strength and basically no predator can get at a box turtle once it has retreated in side it's shell.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Nice looking toitle...

countrychick

Save a horse, ride a cowboy
Feb 2, 2009
somewhere in the sticks
That is simply adorable!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Oh. duh. /smacks head.

thank you. I saw the word "enclosure" but not seeing any signs of walls or structure became confused. (This is not an uncommon state for me anyway.) all makes perfect sense now. And I don't spray for weeds either, I suspect the ground would look all naked and lunar-like if I did. :)

still very nice turtles. Here in Tennessee we have turtles of similar overall appearance but I don't recall seeing any with yellow designs on the shell. I mostly see them when they are crossing roads, so I stop and move them to the side their heading for before the next vehicle decides it would be funny to smoosh them. /grrrr.

Have taken a few home and put out by the pond, but never see them again so I figure they headed off for the woods. Very nice setup you have there and am delighted you were able to get them to breed. :)
we have eastern box turtles here in TN ive taken one to my pond. they arent water turtles so they wont stay in the pond.

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
do the turtles actually do well when released? id think that youd have to feed them all natural foods that you can find in your area

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store