Best Method for Aiptasia Removal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
i think that when one says to use one method and someone agrees then it tends to lean toward that disition. i just can't believe that someone would even recomend to do something like that. i know from my own experience that it's very difficult to make right chices when you are new and allow someone unexpirienced to think of doing something like that is pushing an issue too far. it was bad idea and no one should have mentioned it. you need to get bio-spira to help your system. do a water change for now, it's possible that it won't get worse. add some Prime to keep everything less toxic. if your tank smells bad then rock is curing , which is not good. you don't have that many kritters or fish, so setting up another tank with few pieces of cured rock would be great. i'm done here. you guys got her into it, so get her out of it. good luck
You know what.. What I suggested was not off base.. And while you say true Peps work I'm here to tell you that they don't always.. I have a tank with Aips and they eat them when they want. I have watched many grow from small to large and they never touched it the whole time and they were near where several of them hide. So as most other people say Peps are hit and miss.. While you had a good experience with yours (and I'm glad that you did), I have seen true peps (not camels or others, true peps I can tell them just like you can) not touch the darn reef wreckers.

My suggestion was that she take most of the rock out and let peps and mechanical means just as joes, hot water injections, vinegar etc etc etc until she got a rock clean and place it into a plastic tub with saltwater, heat and circulation. This method works, I have seen it work on completely infested systems and it is why I suggested it.

Again the OP asked for suggestions, we gave them and she made her decision and all you have done is call her names for trying to contain a bad situation.

To the original OP

Jesshika - one of the things that I have heard done here locally as a stop gap measure in systems that are having problems like yours is.. API as well as making test kits and stress coat makes a product called Stresszyme. It is basically bottled bacteria it will supposedly help to jump start critical systems with an influx of bacteria. The two gentlemen that did this basically bought the 16oz bottle and dumped the whole thing into their tanks. In fact one of the two did it twice over the course of several days/a week (I'm not sure but he did use two bottles.. I'm hoping not at once) I have never used it but have been told by others that in an emergency situation it can help..

Mark

Jesshika

AC Members
Nov 10, 2007
Los Angeles, California
www.myspace.com
Jesshika - one of the things that I have heard done here locally as a stop gap measure in systems that are having problems like yours is.. API as well as making test kits and stress coat makes a product called Stresszyme. It is basically bottled bacteria it will supposedly help to jump start critical systems with an influx of bacteria. The two gentlemen that did this basically bought the 16oz bottle and dumped the whole thing into their tanks. In fact one of the two did it twice over the course of several days/a week (I'm not sure but he did use two bottles.. I'm hoping not at once) I have never used it but have been told by others that in an emergency situation it can help..

Mark
I have heard of the stress zyme before, I think I still have some of it left even. But anyways, I made the decision kind of impulsively lol. I got home, did a water change on my freshwater tank and was looking at the aiptasia in the saltwater and wanted to see if it really worked to put them in freshwater. So after dumping a small piece of live rock in the bucket of freshwater I just took out lol, and seeing all the aiptasia die off, I wanted to do it to the rest of them too. I had no idea it would make the rock cure again though having no experience with ever actually having to cure rock :headshake2:

But thank you all for your replies, I really do appreciate it :grinyes: I will do another water change and add some stress zyme or bio spira. So far I haven't lost any fish or ineverts and the rock actually doesn't smell as bad today

snailrider

AC Members
Oct 30, 2007
davesbmw.com
Clown lover, that link is great

I want aiptasia now just so I can have those nudibrances :)

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
from my expirience i can tell you that no metter how cool nudies are, you might never see them again once you introduce them into your system. also, they might never meet to even breed and have babies. i saw one of mine only once in a few months and haven't seen any for about a year at this point. also, they eat aiptasia very slowly. and about the peppermints, please remember that when you get one, try to get a big one, if not, put it into your refugium and train it to eat aiptasia by not giving him anything else but aiptasia until he starts eating them. do not buy too many peppermints, because there is no need to do that, unless you like the look of tons of them together. remember that they can be pickers when bored and might eat things you won't like, that's why i don't recomend more than few. also, peppermints eat huge aiptasia as well as small once, they don't care about the size and amount. if the peppermint eats aiptasia, he will truelly eat tons and even if leaves few around, eventually will get to those too. or if you don't have refugium or something like that, hand feed yor fish, make sure the peppermint is hungry before you shot everything down for the night. make sure to start feeding your shrimp again once aiptasia is down to few here and there. good luck

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
i think that when one says to use one method and someone agrees then it tends to lean toward that disition. i just can't believe that someone would even recomend to do something like that. i know from my own experience that it's very difficult to make right chices when you are new and allow someone unexpirienced to think of doing something like that is pushing an issue too far. it was bad idea and no one should have mentioned it. you need to get bio-spira to help your system. do a water change for now, it's possible that it won't get worse. add some Prime to keep everything less toxic. if your tank smells bad then rock is curing , which is not good. you don't have that many kritters or fish, so setting up another tank with few pieces of cured rock would be great. i'm done here. you guys got her into it, so get her out of it. good luck

One thing you seem to be missing in this thread while trying to put people down when they are suggesting methods of removal, is that "nowhere" in this thread has "anyone" suggested a hot water dip, hence why i said to you in post 47 to go back and read the thread before making such statements as you comments are very unfair on the people who have suggested tried and proved methods of aiptasia removal.

Lets please keep this on track, and that is discussing the route that Jesshika has chosen and support her in the recovery rather than calling people out on their suggested methods. People respect what method worked for you, so people expect the same in return from you.

Niko

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC

Perhaps you need to review the thread and see where someone suggested the course of action that was taken. Jess is not new, she has 7+ years of experience.

I'd not have taken the same course of action either but she made the decision to and I really think you're off the mark here in both the finger pointing and the tone. While the course of action Jess chose might not be what you would have done or even what I'd have done..I wouldn't recommend bio-spira either. I've seen too many complaints about it's effectiveness, especially in a marine tank. But hey you like it so fine, I'm not going to sit here and suggest someone has "forced your newbie hand".

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I had a bad infestation of appies. My Copperband ate them all... Ihav a 75 gallon tank. The Copperband worked. No appies in two years.
Eight photos? For a moment I thought you had 8 copperbands in one tank. :eek: I have heard great things about copperbands eating aiptasias. For me I choose not to use one because I have a 55g, I have a rbta, and I see too many die when first arriving in LFSs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store