Beta Rescue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Cool, thanks for the info all.

TinaNikolai

Registered Member
Oct 12, 2014
I recently set up a new tank. I have gone through bacterial bloom and survived. All of the levels were normal during this period. Then I had as episode of ick that killed my red phantom tetras. I have treated the ick and the neon tetras and the male betta have survived. Are there any other surprises that I can anticipate?

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
I went to Petsmart and bought a beautiful double moon beta along with a 10 gall kit which included a heater, filter and filter media, hood, light, flakes, water conditioner, and a net for $35.00. :)

I was shockingly impressed with the condition of the beta environment section of the store. Plenty of water in each bowl, nice and clear with very little to zero crap in the bottom of the bowls. They had beautiful selection to. I talked to the Petco employee about it and she said she prepares and changes the water everyday and even had one in it's own tank, due to the fact that it's bowl had a leak. It was obvious to me that she cared about what she was doing. I wish she worked at the Walmart Aquarium section.

Petsmart on the other hand.... I won't be there on Friday's when their deliveries come in. I wanted to slug the sales person in that dept.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
Oops... it was at PetCo where I bought the 10 gall and beta and Petsmart that made me sick.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
yeah i know what you mean i REFUSE to buy at petsmart.they killed my 3 black neons 6 neons and my pretty,nice,boy betta with 1 batch of ich ridden 3 black neons.petco is good but petco does sell plants that are not aquatic as aquatic plants.the only time i go there is to buy a few plants from the tubes but they are 6 bucks for just a little bit of plants.petco i buy plants out of the tanks that i know are aquatic.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
yeah i know what you mean i REFUSE to buy at petsmart.they killed my 3 black neons 6 neons and my pretty,nice,boy betta with 1 batch of ich ridden 3 black neons.petco is good but petco does sell plants that are not aquatic as aquatic plants.the only time i go there is to buy a few plants from the tubes but they are 6 bucks for just a little bit of plants.petco i buy plants out of the tanks that i know are aquatic.
They didn't kill them you did by not qting like you should.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
either way i still refuse to buy fish from them.but you are right.it was my fault.i guess...i could give them a second chance.

Evanleigh

Poprocks!
Mar 9, 2014
St. George, Utah
Real Name
Evanleigh
Camera Used
iphone 6s
When I first set up my 29 gall, I did just that. I bought 2 non aquatic plants in the tube because I didn't read the fine print on the tube. It does say whether or not is is a true aquatic plant. I just didn't know much about plants until I joined this forum. :)

I have bought plants on-line and had great experience with those, but once in a while I will replace a Diatom/brown algae ridden plant with a new one from Petco.

When I was at PetSmart they were fillinf the tanks with the new fish they had just got shipped. The employee unceremoniously poured a whole bag of African frogs into a tank where they hit the decorative plants and bottom of the tank. She didn't float the bag first or anything. I told her that I wasn't surprised there were so many dead frogs with the way she treated them. She made some ignorant unprofessionial remark about that.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
When I first set up my 29 gall, I did just that. I bought 2 non aquatic plants in the tube because I didn't read the fine print on the tube. It does say whether or not is is a true aquatic plant. I just didn't know much about plants until I joined this forum. :)

I have bought plants on-line and had great experience with those, but once in a while I will replace a Diatom/brown algae ridden plant with a new one from Petco.

When I was at PetSmart they were fillinf the tanks with the new fish they had just got shipped. The employee unceremoniously poured a whole bag of African frogs into a tank where they hit the decorative plants and bottom of the tank. She didn't float the bag first or anything. I told her that I wasn't surprised there were so many dead frogs with the way she treated them. She made some ignorant unprofessionial remark about that.
Floating isn't necessary I have never floated, the plop and drop method works just fine for almost all fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store