Betta BS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PurePerfection

Go Wolverines!
May 5, 2006
Ann Arbor Michigan
jodimartin2003 said:
I'm not trying to change your mind, just letting others know that you are incorrect. As far as my tank goes, I am well aware that I should only have one pair of angels, I am waiting for them to pair up. As far as the sharks go, I am aware of that as well, they are juvies and one is going to a new home in a couple of weeks. Obviously you are fishing for a reason to lash back b/c I have proven you wrong. But thats okay...no skin off my back.
Explain how you've proven me wrong? Please do. Because you believe that giving a fish 55 gallon for no reason is better than 1 gallon for it? Because you believe they only live two years in a bowl. Well your the one whos wrong and angles and sharks grow very fast so unless they're in your tank for only a couple of months you've already stunted them.

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
Please, If you think an angel or a rainbow shark will become stunted in a 55g you are seriously mistaken. I would like to see proof of your point. I have proven you wrong on the fact that bettas live in as you put it "shallow, tight, oxygen starved waters" I even provided you a link to pics of their natrual habitat. Did you even bother to look? Probably not. Anyway, I do have a reason that 55g is better than 1g, first of all filtration makes a huge difference, also bettas need a temp 78-80 which is very hard to provide in a tank that is not large enough for a heater. Bigger tanks have more stable water conditions. I do regular water changes on my tank and I also test my water. Do you even do that? Thanks Mduros, I normally dont say much about it, but this time it just really got to me, not sure why. I guess it's b/c it is in the newbie section, and I dont want new people to think that keeping bettas in tiny tanks with no filtration or heat is okay. And yes, it is like talking to a brick wall.

PurePerfection

Go Wolverines!
May 5, 2006
Ann Arbor Michigan
jodimartin2003 said:
Please, If you think an angel or a rainbow shark will become stunted in a 55g you are seriously mistaken. I would like to see proof of your point. I have proven you wrong on the fact that bettas live in as you put it "shallow, tight, oxygen starved waters" I even provided you a link to pics of their natrual habitat. Did you even bother to look? Probably not. Anyway, I do have a reason that 55g is better than 1g, first of all filtration makes a huge difference, also bettas need a temp 78-80 which is very hard to provide in a tank that is not large enough for a heater. Bigger tanks have more stable water conditions. I do regular water changes on my tank and I also test my water. Do you even do that? Thanks Mduros, I normally dont say much about it, but this time it just really got to me, not sure why. I guess it's b/c it is in the newbie section, and I dont want new people to think that keeping bettas in tiny tanks with no filtration or heat is okay. And yes, it is like talking to a brick wall.
Yeah when you put that many you stunt them God you are so stupid you can't even set up a 55 gallon tank properly and you try and tell others about giving betta's 55 galon. Yeah how deep are the rice pads? about 10-12inches at the very most. The are also dry almost 6 months out of the year or didn't you know that

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
Wow, ya know you were starting to tick me off until I looked at all your posts and found that on almost every one you have started an argument. So I'm not gonna let you get to me. I have studied all of the fish I have in my tank and I know what temps the should be at, how large they are going to get and what needs they have. You are the ONLY person on this site or any others that has said my tank is overstocked and so far you are one of the biggest :troll: I have seen yet. You make it look like you arent a :troll: but when going through your posts I find that you are. You arent looking for actual advice from people who really know what they are talking about, you are just looking for people to agree with you , and from what Ive seen that hasnt been happening and you dont deal with that well at all. I am done with you, and I hope others around here see you for what you really are. A :troll:

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
I think that all this nonsense needs to stop and we need to get back to the issue at hand. Someone is asking for advice and all he is getting is a lot of fighting about who knows what and who is overstocked or not. Give us all a break and knock it off! Enough said.

Marinemom

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
You will never be able to tell a minimum wage employee with little to no training that they are wrong. Why? Because they don't care to know any better. Sad but true. But at least you gave the person buying the fish a chance to think that there are different ideas out there. Whether or not this person looks into things further is a whole different story.

I have done the same thing at fish stores in the past.

With proper water conditions a bettas rarey if ever needs to breathe at the surface. Mine rarely does and he lives ina 5 gallon planted/ filtered/ heated tank with weekly 50% water changes. But that doesn't stop him from rushing to the surface when he sees me open the lid at feeding time.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Abilor, I think you did the right thing. The response from the store employee was, unfortunately, typical. Few of the folks in the lfs or chain store do any research on their jobs. Not all, mind you. I know some very knowledgable and ethical store owners.

For some, they're just repeating information given them by a sales rep from the pet supply wholesaler. I maintain the sales and display tanks at a pet shop and the pet supply sales rep hates me. I've talked the owner into dropping many of the chemicals from her stock that are, IMO, useless.

The minimum size tank for a betta is hotly debated, as you see. Fish need room to swim. I've kept bettas in everything from a glass bowl, before I knew better, to a 125gal. None ever had a problem getting to the top. The minimum size I would keep one in is 10 gallon because I like live plants and I like keeping other fish with a betta, in stead of by themselves. I like the behaviors bettas display with other tank-mates. You can almost see their little brains working as they watch another fish swim by.

Mark

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
wesleydnunder said:
The minimum size tank for a betta is hotly debated, as you see. Fish need room to swim. I've kept bettas in everything from a glass bowl, before I knew better, to a 125gal. None ever had a problem getting to the top. The minimum size I would keep one in is 10 gallon because I like live plants and I like keeping other fish with a betta, in stead of by themselves. I like the behaviors bettas display with other tank-mates. You can almost see their little brains working as they watch another fish swim by.
Nod, Mark. IME bettas are very intelligent and very curious fish. Our Markers spends his entire day patrolling the 36g, following the cories around, and building huge bubble nests.

Roan

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
My guy used to live in the 10 gallon with some white clouds but the temp difference and his slowness in eating wasn't good. The white clouds would steal his food before he could get it. Just a crazy pacifist I guess, though he always tried to flare at my blind cory (that was sad to watch).

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Abilor...do not follow PurePerfection's advice (?).

Marinemom...play hall monitor some other place.

And just for the record, most bettas do not come from rice patties. You should see the 300 foot long breeding tanks in Indonesia, and for that matter, similar ones in Florida.

Oh yeah, almost forgot my 60's manners...

Be Happy!

(Geeesch)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store