Betta exploded

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish Hobbiest

AC Members
Dec 30, 2007
I had the same problem happen to me a while back, the problem was fiber.

For some reason bettas have issues with their digestive systems, its not very common but eventually you will run into a betta with that problem.

To fix it next time it happens(thats if it happens at all) just find some fish food at your local fish store that is high in fiber or shimp pellets and crush them so the betta can eat it.

sorry about your fish dieing tho

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Ohhh. Ouch. I feel for your loss and for your son. I hope you are/were able to get a quick relpacement Betta.

Zaffy

Why would ******* be censored?
Jul 21, 2008
Canyon Country, Ca.
Sorry for your loss, it's got to be tough with a little one. I disagree with the people who are suggesting you hide it/replace it without him knowing though. Death is one of the toughest topics to explain to a kid, but something like this could be a great opportunity to do so in accordance with your beliefs.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
... I disagree with the people who are suggesting you hide it/replace it without him knowing though. Death is one of the toughest topics to explain to a kid, but something like this could be a great opportunity to do so...
They'll be plenty of opportunity for his kiddo to learn about the crappy side of life as he ages. For now--keep the illusion going.

vanillaXtiffy

AC Members
Nov 28, 2008
Virginia
Real Name
Nilla
Eep. Sorry for your loss. I did the same thing when I was trying to start a female community tank. I figured the way to fight aggression was being well fed (in addition to plenty of space) and accidentally killed 3 of them. You live, you learn.

Hairechest

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
New Jersey
www.myspace.com
Real Name
Wes
There may be a tiny little Alien in your tank...

be careful, he bleeds acid.

I feed my Betta - de-thawed bloodworms. It is often said that a cooked pea (minus the outer skin), will help with Betta digestion issues.

Last edited:

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Awwwwww sorry for your loss if he was getting fat could be he may have been very constipated if infact his intestines may have been obstructed. I have never seen a fish explode and hope never to. Were you fasting your betta once a week? If not in the future you should fast the fish once a week. Especially if you are feeding freezedried bloodworms. They are very constipating. Fasting gives them time to rest their digestive tracts also feeding a pea if they appear constipated usually helps them to relieve the constipation. As far as replacing the fish kids are pretty resilient I wouldn't lie to him my nieces and nephew are 5 years old and they know about death an heaven you could just tell him that the fish got sick and god took him up to heaven kids understand more than we think even at a young age. Then you can take him to pick out another fish he has to learn about death sometime especially with fish because sometimes they don't live a long time. Good luck hope all goes well.

BreellaBlue87

2009: The year of the Bat
Dec 8, 2008
Central New York
There may be a tiny little Alien in your tank...

be careful, he bleeds acid.
:lol:

I lol'd so hard I woke my cat up.

"I disagree with the people who are suggesting you hide it/replace it without him knowing though. Death is one of the toughest topics to explain to a kid, but something like this could be a great opportunity to do so in accordance with your beliefs."

That's touchy... i believe ABC said he's what? Three?. My niece is three and we tried that with her, but she didn't get it.

I had a kitten die a few months ago, freak accident, but I hand raised him, bottle fed him after the foster queen rejected him... and when he died I'd cried for hours at first, Cried when the accident happened, cried at the vet, cried threw signing the paperwork, cried when I got home, the next morning I wasn't crying outright but when my boyfriend would leave the room I'd cry some more, this went on for a week. Death of a pet is always hard, no matter how old you are.

I'm 21 by the way, and spent a year in Vet School.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store