Betta exploded

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
"I disagree with the people who are suggesting you hide it/replace it without him knowing though. Death is one of the toughest topics to explain to a kid, but something like this could be a great opportunity to do so in accordance with your beliefs."

That's touchy... i believe ABC said he's what? Three?. My niece is three and we tried that with her, but she didn't get it.
As an update I did end up telling his as best I could, he may only be 3 but is too smart and would have realized if I had simply switched a new fish in without him noticing. He got noticeably upset, and I think only somewhat understands, but at the same time I am glad I told him rather than lie to him.

I took him out over the weekend to pick up a new fish for him, he at first wanted angels (I told him they would get too big, so he pointed to the smaller angels and wanted them instead). We ended up getting a new betta that he has named "sally"

Mother Yoda

is needing advice
Feb 11, 2007
Midwestern United States
Ouch, that must suck. I have never heard of anything similar at all happen a any fish.

catnipgal

Here Fishy Fishy
Jun 26, 2008
Chicago - Windy City, USA
Got any pics of Sally?

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
It sounds like you handled this beautifully with your son. I'm sorry to hear what happened... but very happy you have another betta for him already.

Our losses and our joys are so bittersweet in this hobby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store