Betta what is wrong!?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

palmbreeze

Fish are friends...not food!
Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
:thud:

I'm sorry...maybe I misunderstood you. You think I should kill him?

I don't understand the bubblenest thing. So are you talking about him as a baby fish? His bubblenest was seperated?

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Don't totally write him off yet. Roland's message had me scratching my head as well as this has nothing to do with breeding bettas. Actually, betta fish should not be euthanized in the "conventional" way (clove oil).

If he has pop-eye, than his water has been kept less than ideal as pop-eye usually surfaces when the water is bad. If his eyes are cloudy as well, then that is also an indication that his water is "bad".

As for the bouyancy problem: it's really hard to make anything out in the photos you posted. Any change of taking a more clear picture and posting that?

Roan

palmbreeze

Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
It is a newer tank, but I have been keeping up on water changes. I will try to take some better pictures this evening.

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
I noticed your kh was a bit high. Have you done a test on your tap water?

I would do the pea trick anyway and also try garlic as well. Garlic helps to kill internal parasites and is good for your fish anyway. You could soak his food in some garlic oil and feed it to him.

palmbreeze

Jul 26, 2005
Ohio
I never heard of the garlic trick! Cool!

Our water is very hard. I'm not positive what the KH is out of the tap. I have a box of peas in the freezer I'll try it.

Roland

worlds last gunslinger
Sorry, my post wasnt too clear. :sick:

What i meant was (in my experience on betta farms) if the fish is swimming on its side, especially after feeding, then its probably been a problem from its time in the bubblenest - (the raft that the fry begin their life). If the male does not tend the nest and the fry sink in their early life, sometimes the cannot swim properly.

From my experience, the fish is terminally ill in this situation.

BUT THAT IS ONLY IF YOUR FISH IS INFLICTED IN THIS WAY. I only meant to mention this as an 'option', because without the fish in your hands/sight, it is very difficult to make an accurate diagnosis! :thm:

Otherwise, try alternative treatment as rightly suggested by others. This is only a suggestion.

ALso, clove oil, in my opinion, is a homeopathic sedative, thats mechanisms are not well understood. Phenoxyethanol is the 'standard' (accepted by industry) method of achieving euthanasia for a fish that is termanilly ill and clearly suffering.

Beeker

Aquariaholic
Oct 8, 2004
I'm pretty sure the reason you wouldn't use clove oil on a betta is because they breath air too. You would need to use one of the other methods. But, we shouldn't bring this up yet. Palmbreeze's betta, at this point, is believed to be cureable.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Beeker said:
I'm pretty sure the reason you wouldn't use clove oil on a betta is because they breath air too. You would need to use one of the other methods.
Exactly, but most people don't consider that and once tried, it's too late to turn back

But, we shouldn't bring this up yet. Palmbreeze's betta, at this point, is believed to be cureable.
Yep!

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store