Bettas in a 10 gal...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ArkyLady

Addict In Training
Nov 27, 2002
Arkansas
I second the vote for the cories. They stay near the bottom mostly and they have way more personality than tetras do in my opinion. They are much cuter at least :)

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
It's a common misconception that cories must be kept in groups... they do not.

Weekly water changes are best, no matter your stocking levels and tank size, so don't let that factor into your decision.

Your 10 gallon will be just fine w/ a school of 6 neons, and 3 or 4 dwarf cories, and your betta! None of these fish get huge, and they are all low waste producers. Again, this all hinges on religious weekly water changes.

xytrix01

Aquaria Intern (NOOB)
Sep 26, 2004
San Jose, CA
ok sounds good. I'm dropping the neons and going with just a betta and sounds like 3 corries. This sound good? could I get the devider thing and do two bettas and 4 of the corries, two on either side?

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
Hmmm, yeah, you could do 2 cories on each side... I've never had experience w/ divided tanks, so I don't know if the cories would get "sad" seeing the other ones on the other side and not being albe to "play" with them??? But besides that aspect of it, I think it sounds like a great idea!

xytrix01

Aquaria Intern (NOOB)
Sep 26, 2004
San Jose, CA
Cool, I think I'll do it then! YAY! I get more fishies! :dance

xytrix01

Aquaria Intern (NOOB)
Sep 26, 2004
San Jose, CA
Alright, I did a research feild trip to my LFS, and came back with a few more questions.

What about clown loaches instead of corries? they are a little more colerfull and active...

They also had a golden bristlenose plecto. I had to restrain myself from buying him right away! *sigh, but don't we all. I just don't have an apropriate place for him yet.

So would this go?:
1- male betta
3-4 Clown Loaches
1 Golden bristlenose plecto

*I know the plecto can get to 8", but is he does that I'll just put him into one of my bigger tanks.

phanmc

AC Members
Jun 24, 2004
Visit site
A clown loach will grow to a foot long, so no.

The bristlenose pleco are smaller than the common plecos and usually stay around 6", still rather big for a 10 gallon long term.

xytrix01

Aquaria Intern (NOOB)
Sep 26, 2004
San Jose, CA
dang, I tried. Will I have any problems between the plecto and the corries? I think that they will work together.

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
I agree with happychem... stick with your original plan of divided tank w/ 1 betta and 2 cories on each side -- everyone will be much happier!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store