Bettas in a 10 gal...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
I actually preferred the idea of 1 betta and maybe 4 cories (even the full sized ones could make out) in the whole tank. 10g tanks are surprisingly small once you start putting stuff in them. A nice 2" of 2-3mm diameter substrate and some stem plants. Cories are plenty active, they're a lot of fun to watch.

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
I vote for an undivided tank, with a betta, 6 or so neons and 3 cories (or if you can find pygmy cories, thats better, then get 5). That is not overstocking the tank....and it will be fine if you keep your water changes up.

Cories really *should* be kept in groups. 3 or more is fine. Just like neons, they are schooling fish.

I would not do a divided tank with any kind of schooling fish, where half would be on one side.

xytrix01

Aquaria Intern (NOOB)
Sep 26, 2004
San Jose, CA
"They are prodigeous waste producers, and the fish just plain gets too big for the tank"

Like too much waste for my filter to handle? I always over-filter my tanks, so the 10gal would be running a bio-wheel mini rated for 20 gallons. I don't mind doing bi-weekly water changes. At least not on a tank that small.

As for his size, at the store right now he and his bros are about 3/4" long. they really are tiny little fellas. When he gets big enough that he won't fit in the 10gal anymore, I could just move hime into my 45gal. It's not overstocked, and by that time he'll be big enough that my catfish won't be able to eat him.

I was just wondering, because my buddie has a comon plecto and 2 tetras of some kind in a 5 gal. He's had them in there for about a year, and the plecto is just now getting too large for that tank. And all he's running is a UG filter in there.

xytrix01

Aquaria Intern (NOOB)
Sep 26, 2004
San Jose, CA
To tell you the truth, I only really wanted the golden plecto for my big tank anyhow... The problem is that he is the same size as the feeders I put in there for Felix and I know he won't tell the difference. That is why I was wondering if he could live in the 10gal untill he was big enough. I wasn't planning on keeping him as a perminate resident of the tank.

happychem

redorkulated
Dec 9, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
xytrix01Like too much waste for my filter to handle? I always over-filter my tanks said:
Glad to hear that you always over-filter. IMO the ratings on the boxes are a little generous anyway. But no, filter all you want, it won't solve the problem. Your filter can remove solid bits after a fashion and convert NH3 to NO3. However, fish aren't just ammonia makers, they also excrete organic compounds like hormones, sulfur compounds, you get the idea. As much as you filter, they're still basically swimming around in their own wastes.

xytrix01

Aquaria Intern (NOOB)
Sep 26, 2004
San Jose, CA
Now are we talking about all the plectos? or just the bristlenose? Just curious...

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
Just about all plecos, to the best of my knowledge, have the ability of getting huge - the exception being the pricier/harder to find dwarf/pygmy type strains...not to mention they are all huge waste/poop producers... I bet if you do a search for "stringy pleco poop" either on google or even here in the forum you could see a couple of (nasty, hehe) photos of the gifts plecos like to leave for their owners....

Leopardess

Everything's eventual.
Aug 13, 2003
New Hampshire Seacoast Area
Visit site
Bristlenoses, candystripes and clown plecos all stay smallish -under 4-5".

Plecos do make big poop.

Indigo

weeeeee
Sep 20, 2004
BC, Canada
Call me weird, but I googled both 'stringy pleco poop' and 'pleco poop' and i didn't get any results that had a picture :p I wanna see what I'm missing out on lol :D

StreetCypher

AC Members
Apr 18, 2004
vancity, BC
Visit site
I like the idea of 1 betta with some pygmy cories to keep it company. I would also throw in a couple shrimp (ghost or amano) for looks.

As for plecos, yup, they're poopy machines. My baby clown pleco (~2 inches) makes so many little brown logs. The fact that the larger plecos (although great looking) will make poop the size of breakfast sausage really turns me off. Thats why i'll never buy one (let alone another pleco at all).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store