Big boys for a 75g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
Can someone breakdown for me how the midas, red devil and flowerhorn are related? I remember reading that one is a hybrid of the others, but I don't recall where that article was. I'd love to find a midas like this one:

[yt]JgsaaVrdc18[/yt]

and I really like this guy as well:

[YT]ZOyTzNJzXGA[/YT]

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sorry for the late response still putting x-mas stuff together for my little girl hehehe busy daddy i am..

Yep that stock list should be ok for the firemouths and cutteri as long as you get rid of the cardinals, kuhli's and cory's the plecos would be fine the others would be a snack..

Here is a info link http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1341 i use to breed these fish and i had tons of photos but were lost due to a hard drive crash on my old computer i wish i still had those photos..

Here are a few photos of the cutteri http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=9774&si=parrot which in fact let me tell you these photos dont do any justice in my experience they are really beautiful fish 4 firemouths and 4 cutteri would be good avoid the salvini as for it is really aggressive and probably be too much for them but who knows it may work..

Have fun deciding my friend..

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
and seriously.. Is a Jaguar too much for a 75g? Yes 150g is the minimum size tank for a jag.
150 gallons minimum? Shenanigans! You're acting like every jag will become a massive 18 incher. The average jag runs 13"-15", bout the same size as an oscar, and they're no heavier in build. Jags bigger than that are the exception, far from the rule. How people can claim a 75 is fine for an oscar, which has the potential to reach 16" or 17", but too small for a jag blows my mind.

WYite

Corax

Nov 14, 2001
Sorry for the late response still putting x-mas stuff together for my little girl hehehe busy daddy i am..

Yep that stock list should be ok for the firemouths and cutteri as long as you get rid of the cardinals, kuhli's and cory's the plecos would be fine the others would be a snack..

Here is a info link http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1341 i use to breed these fish and i had tons of photos but were lost due to a hard drive crash on my old computer i wish i still had those photos..

Here are a few photos of the cutteri http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/fishpictures/showphoto.php?photo=9774&si=parrot which in fact let me tell you these photos dont do any justice in my experience they are really beautiful fish 4 firemouths and 4 cutteri would be good avoid the salvini as for it is really aggressive and probably be too much for them but who knows it may work..

Have fun deciding my friend..
Thanks for the links. I'm still deciding between multiple smaller fish or 1 big one. Wife wants one big one, daughter wants one big one, I want multiple so I can hang on to my plecos..

What is your opinion on the jaguar tank size question? Numerically, a Jag isn't that different from an Oscar, and I always see 75g for a single oscar.

Also, can someone tell me what the difference between a Red Devil and a Midas is? Juveniles look identical (saw both yesterday) and adults look a lot alike too.. Saw an 8" RD yesterday, and plenty of videos of a midas that looks very similar.. Even found one website where the names were used back and forth..

and finally.. If I do go with 1 big one (a juvenile of a big one, either a RD or a Jag), how do my plecos' chances look?

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Personally i think that the 75gal would be good for one jag plus you can keep the current plecos if you obtain a juvie jag with a hit or miss incident in the future when the jag is grown, and in my opinion i think you have room for a couple of juvie male cons to offset the alone factor and as always pay close attention to your tank in the future and remove any rebels..

As for the Midas and RD one is different in the head region and one may have more white but i do not have enough experience to make a 100% comment on these cichlids, so hopefully someone with more experience could help you there..

And a side note on large cichlids and plecos - if you only have one large fish (cichlid) and a pleco normally that cichlid will get bored and pick on the only target it has thats why i suggested placing a couple of cons in tank they are pretty scrappy and built tough..

Yep have fun deciding hehehe..

Corax

Nov 14, 2001

Cons too huh? What about a pair of Cutteri instead? Cons are, to be blunt, buttholes.. I don't want the grief really.. I know of a local source for a breeding pair of Cutteri, 3" & 4".. I figure when they breed, (the owner tells me they had to be separated due to being so prolific) the Jag will take care of the fry..

So how does this stocking sound:

1 - juvie jag - new
2 - cutteri - new
1 - peppermint pleco - existing
1 - rubber lip pleco - existing
4 - cories of mixed breeds (green, pepper, couple albinos) - existing

Hope that would work..

Last edited:

Corax

Nov 14, 2001
Or, an alternative stocking..

1 - juvie midas - new
2 - cutteri - new
1 - peppermint pleco - existing
1 - rubber lip pleco - existing
4 - cories of mixed breeds (green, pepper, couple albinos) - existing

I would also enjoy having some pictus cats.. Are they out of the question?

The tank also currently has some Kuhli loaches and a Dojo loach.. Am I correct in assuming that these guys would be seen as little more than yummy worms?

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
all sounds good but when the cichlids start gaining size and aggression your cory will be on the target hit list, so i would remove the cory's..

Corax

Nov 14, 2001
Any alternative bottom feeder suggestions?

and what about the pictus?

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Pictus get pretty huge and are ich magnets if the cichlids will leave them alone should be fine but pictus needs company from their own kind an alternative would be a couple of rapheal cats but they are very elusive in hiding only to come out during complete darkness to hunt..

I forgot to tell you as well as the dojo and kuhli's would be a snack as well..

If you stick with the smaller cichlids and leave out the big ones you could get by with these smaller fins kuhli's definitely would have to go and so would the corys..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store