Black ghost knife fish not eaten for two days now !!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I would increase water changes to every 7 days. Not eating can be hard to figure out. Sometimes fish will stop eating if the food has been changed or sometimes for illness. There are other times a fish will skip eating for 2-3 weeks and then resume. Unless you have more symptoms than to quit eating, diagnosis is really a guess.

You can try this chart to give you more ideas (http://www.fishvet.com/fw_bacterial_chart_.htm).

One possiblilty the chart does not give is constipation.

Good luck.

Last edited:

rajdeeprath

AC Members
Jul 17, 2012
Ok since you asked, there is one thing he does.sometimes .. rubbing is body off things,.gravel .... I thought it.could be itch, I did add medicine. But none of the other fish even mildly show such symptom.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Rubbing on things indicates a parasite infection. You will need to treat the tank with an anti-parasitic treatment. I hesitate to recommend medication as I don't know what is available to you.

One thing that usually works is salt 1 tablespoon to 5 (~20L) gallons of water and increasing the temperature to ~20-30C. Treat for seven days. However, if you have an internal parasite (rubbing indicates external) you will need medicated food.

There are other parasites than Ick that effect fish. The same medication you used for Ich will work.

rajdeeprath

AC Members
Jul 17, 2012
These the only two things available.in my region.and I have them. See attached image.

Now following your recommendation I would like to ask can I put medicine / salt directly in the housing he dwells in ? I have heard they are very sensitive because they don't have scales.

Also since this morning he is being lazy lying in his house in a awkward sideways position. See pic..

uploadfromtaptalk1356415488447.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1356415689054.jpg

Dionysus

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Wisconsin
Checked out you vid, like your filter :) I built a small filter similiar, only used bio-balls from sump off another tank. You put that together yourself?

As for parasites, I use salt like excuzzzeme suggested, and raise my temp. Hav had good results with this method.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rajdeeprath

AC Members
Jul 17, 2012
Hi

Thanks :) yes put that together using old broken stuff from old filters, tiffin box and used my air pumps - god's grace :). Basically in my region power head filters are costly and do not carry warranty so they spoil easily. I wanted to have a filter that could do what the power head does without burning out. So I use 2 simple air pumps together to push in enough air to make it throw out water. So i keep this running 24 hours without maintainence and its the cheapest.

Thanks a lot for the info,

I will start with the salt and rid all anti itch and see how it goes. I have heard malachite green is too strong so i will use it last.

I will keep posting his status through the treatment. This is my first bgk. So i want to do my best on taking care of him. With help from all of you I guess its may just work out well.

Last edited:

rajdeeprath

AC Members
Jul 17, 2012
So which will be the best deal ? Salt or rid all ? For my bgk.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store