Black Tip Shark.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

trainedkilla

trainedkilla
Aug 13, 2007
Fort Mitchell, AL
www.myspace.com
That is a dream of mine...to have something like that. Awesome sharks!!

texanstwoone

AC Members
Jul 9, 2007
houston
Yea, the OG of fish. I like him!

krj-1168

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Jacksonville,NC
Generally - Angels aren't really a problem for requiem sharks - such as the Blacktip Reefs - But Angels are a problem for small benthic species such as the Bamboo sharks.

Also while a 10,000 tank is nice - it's still ultimately not large enough for an adult Blacktip Reef to stay in for it's entire life. Adult Blacktip Reefs reach about 5.25-6' (approximately 1.6-1.8 meters) in length, and need a lagoon/pool/pond that is at least 16,000 gallons(36' long x 16' wide x 4' deep) to 21,000(39' long, x 18' wide x 4.5' deep).

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
I am still curious as to how someone has a tank of this size in one's home. I went to the Manteo Aquarium in NC that has a few sharks as well as fish and I have absolutely no concept as to how many gallons that specific tank is. The massive size of something like 10,000g + in someone's home (I'm assuming) is mind boggling to me. Amazing, but something I can't wrap my head around how someone would be able to do it. Visitors think my 75 g is large hahahaha

Awesome shark.

krj-1168

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Jacksonville,NC
Presently I don't have a marine tank set up - as I'm still planning for my new Fish Room (currently a storage area). But when I finally get up and running - I plan on have a small shark pond or two (in the 1,000-1,500 gallon range). Although I would love to have a large shark lagoon.

I am still curious as to how someone has a tank of this size in one's home. I went to the Manteo Aquarium in NC that has a few sharks as well as fish and I have absolutely no concept as to how many gallons that specific tank is. The massive size of something like 10,000g + in someone's home (I'm assuming) is mind boggling to me. Amazing, but something I can't wrap my head around how someone would be able to do it.
The shark tanks of NC Aquariums - be it Manteo, Pine Knoll Shores, or Fort Fisher tend to all be in the 250,000 to 350,000 gallon range. With the main sharks being the Nurse, Sand Tiger, and some Sandbars, and Bonnetheads (mostly Fort Fisher).

As for how someone can build a shark tank/lagoon at their home. Trust me - it can be done. I've talked with people who have 20,000-40,000 gallon shark lagoons(often modifed swimming pools) at their home. One guy, I've talked with built a 35,000 gallon inground shark lagoon when he added a large sunroom on to his house. He presently has almost a dozen sharks in it - including 2-3 Blacktip Reefs.

Last edited:

trainedkilla

trainedkilla
Aug 13, 2007
Fort Mitchell, AL
www.myspace.com
a shark lagoon in my house would be better than sex.

:)

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC

better than the boring bedroom kind. . . . but imagine doing it in front of your very own shark tank.

krj-1168

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Jacksonville,NC

yeah maybe - boring Sex. LOL

While a large Shark Lagoon - maybe an awesome Idea. it can also be a pain in the behind - as for water changes, and cleaning. Which for a shark lagoon that's about 20-50,000 range - may require a swim suit or even a wet suite. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store