Blue Cathode...Moon Lights on a Budget!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sminker

AC Members
Oct 22, 2007
if i got this kit
i would suggest on just buying one local, could probably get it cheaper. maybe find a pawn shop or a used electronics store.

that one will only work if you cut the end off and splice it to the cathode connector. the cathodes have a computer fan looking plug. the kit from ebay will come with an adapter that has bare ends.

buy this kit from ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/DUAL-12-ULTRA-BR...QQcmdZViewItem

would i need to get anything else to hook it up, im dumb with wires, thanks
Tim

nope, just cut and splice.

ThePBM

Rich Hobo
Jul 30, 2007
Hawaii / Wisconsin
yeah, just strip the wires, twist them, and electrical tape around them sufficiently, and you're good to go.
there are 2 wires to work with so just make sure black goes to black, and the other is obvious.
the plugs are called "molex" connectors with a red, 2 blacks, and a yellow wire. yellow wire is 12v, and that's what you'll be using. the red is for 5v that's used in computers but you can ignore it, and it may even just be a blank slot in the connector (no pin)

Mrhfield

Fish in a barrel
Jan 13, 2008
Louisville
home.insightbb.com
I have been wanting to convert a computer power supply to be a stand alone power supply, cheaper than buying a converter. The possibilities are endless with it. It was first brought to my attention when a friend saw that some r/c racers were charging batteries for there cars. I wanted to build a radio box with a car receiver, small amp, and speakers, (stuff i had around the garage.) so I found a couple of websites that offer info to set up a stand alone power supply. Here is the first site i found
http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply and here is the other one
http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm
Hope this proves help to you all. And a personal note don't do it if your not electrical inclined.

ThePBM

Rich Hobo
Jul 30, 2007
Hawaii / Wisconsin
all you have to do is connect the correct 2 pins or wires (depending on model of PSU) to make the computer PSU think it's plugged into a mobo. you can google up which 2. they're within the 20-24 pin/wire plug that comes out of most PSUs.

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Just be aware with some PC power supplies (I'd think the larger ones) that you can burn em up without providing a minimum load on the output. I've however been using a very small old AT style power supply for years without issue (well actually I havent used it int years more like it). I've got some larger supples for servers and the minimum current draw is actually pretty big (I think the 5V line had a minimum of ~5A)! This has to do with the characteristics of a switching power supply vs a linear supply.

No cutting a splicing is required if you get a supply like timinny first mentioned since the supply has a molex plug, as long as the ccfl kit was one designed for a computer case and has a molex plug also.

I also just rigged up my first ccfl moon lights... I had a bunch of them I picked up in a $4 bin at the local computer shop. I went ahead and picked up the adjustable voltage adapter from wallmart. Just two of these 12" kits at 12V lit up my 240g too brightly! Due to the 8' distance I spaced them at 1/3 and 2/3 distances, it was a little dim in the middle and slightly at each end, but the spots right below the lights were too bright IMO. If the room was completely dark, 9V was even pushing it, 7.5 was ok. I had some extra angle aluminum so I just zip tied em in that, which also provides some reflector properties. And the aluminum was just laid across the top of the tank (~2" from the water surface). Once I get my canopy built, these things will be mounted much higher, like 12" probably up, so that should dim the light slightly and also spread it more even. Maybe I'll even polish up the angle aluminum...

sawyer1206

AC Members
Jul 22, 2006
Angleton, Tx.

cbster

AC Members
Nov 16, 2003
Freeburg, IL
Got my lights today took 15 minutes to hook them up and they look great. Can't wait till tonight to see them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store