"Bob the Angry Flower's Quick Guide to the Apostrophe, You Idiots"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
My original post was edited by a mod to show the image itself rather than a link, which is much nicer (thanks!), but I want to give credit where it's due.

Bob the Angry Flower lives at www.angryflower.com and you can order posters of Bob's Quick Guide to the Apostrophe, You Idiots at www.angryflower.com/aposter.html.

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Your, you're sheesh. Have them ALSO USe correcT CApitalization. it Drives me nuts too, to, two figure out what the blazes' they're, their, there saying. aNd periods!
x2

Seriously, some people seem to have a punctuation shortage. I have plenty to spare. Do you think I should post an RAOK thread? :p

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Lose and loose are two more words that I see misused daily.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
I know what you mean! Grammar in general is a pet peeve of mine. I have a brother-in-law that drives me nuts when he speaks.."I have an ideal.", I am going to light a far (fire)., I need a worsh (wash) cloth." Not to mention in the written form...whether, weather; wear, where; to, two, too; your, you're; who, whom....the list goes on and on!

while your frustration with your brother in law might be valid, that's not bad grammar.. it is simply what the rest of us know as an "accent".

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
One of my personal pet peeves is the placement of punctuation in a quotation. I hear they have different rules across the big pond, but in American English, the punctuation goes INSIDE the quote marks. The ONLY exceptions are when you are quoting what someone has said and the punctuation of your sentence is not the same as the punctuation of what they said. Examples (from http://www.writersblock.ca/tips/monthtip/tipmay96.htm):
  • He asked, "Will you be leaving soon?"
  • He shouted, "Never!"
  • Did he say "I am late"?
  • I can't believe he whispered "I am afraid"!
  • Did he ask "Will you be leaving soon"?
  • Did he shout "Never"?
  • I can't believe he asked "Will you be leaving soon"!

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Oh, this one gets on my nerves! People often mix up verbs and adjectives like these:

"I need to check out. I'll go to the checkout line."
"I wanted to thank you, so sent a thank-you card."
"I need to set up my account. I'll go through the setup process."
"To log in to AC, use the login page."

And then there's "into" vs. "in to." "Into" is a preposition. What's a preposition, kids? Anything that grammatically fills this blank:

Sam ran ________ the wall.
(up, around, on, inside, to, from, behind...)

A preposition requires a direct object. In this test phrase, the direct object is "the wall." You don't use "into" every time "in" and "to" happen to land next to each other!

He dove into the water. [correct]
He dove in to save the drowning kitten. [correct]
He dove into save the drowning kitten. [wrong wrong wrong!]

This thread is very cathartic for me. Can you tell?

FireDancer7905

I'm in love!
Jul 15, 2006
SJ Bay Area
www.opheliabreathes82.blogspot.com
Real Name
Brandy
lol! I love Bob the Angry Flower. And to all of you with the pet peeves, try teaching 7th grade English! Their writing drives me crazy!!! No matter how many times you correct them, some kids will never decide to internalize and use correct grammar. And don't even mention homophones! Ouch!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store