"Bob the Angry Flower's Quick Guide to the Apostrophe, You Idiots"

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
lol! I love Bob the Angry Flower. And to all of you with the pet peeves, try teaching 7th grade English! Their writing drives me crazy!!! No matter how many times you correct them, some kids will never decide to internalize and use correct grammar. And don't even mention homophones! Ouch!
May the force be with you.

johnlarson66

These Pandas Rock
Sep 25, 2006
Fayetteville, NC
www.facebook.com
Real Name
John Larson

pik01

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
San Jose, California
One of my personal pet peeves is the placement of punctuation in a quotation. I hear they have different rules across the big pond, but in American English, the punctuation goes INSIDE the quote marks. The ONLY exceptions are when you are quoting what someone has said and the punctuation of your sentence is not the same as the punctuation of what they said. Examples (from http://www.writersblock.ca/tips/monthtip/tipmay96.htm):
I have my fair share of Grammar Nazi moments. On the other hand, I've struggled with quotations and it's so nice to finally have it straightened out.

On A Different Forum There Is A User Who Insists On Capitalizing The Beginning Of Every Word.

It almost hurt for me to type that and I don't read his posts. Why put in the extra work of capitalizing all that? It makes Pik crazy...

cellodaisy

AC Members
Jan 11, 2009
Cincinnati OH 45219
meganstrickland.com
Ugh! Just saw this one (not on AC, though I'm sure it's been said...) and had to vent:

"FOR ALL INTENSIVE PURPOSES"

What the heck are "intensive purposes"? The phrase is "FOR ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES," people!

from http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/intensive.html
Another example of the oral transformation of language by people who don’t read much. “For all intents and purposes” is an old cliché which won’t thrill anyone, but using the mistaken alternative is likely to elicit guffaws.
... and you don't want to be the subject of GUFFAWS, do you? DO YOU?! I didn't think so.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
What about paragraphs?!!! (exclamation points added for emphasis, lol)
I get out of breath, mentally, reading a post in which there are no paragraphs!!

Oh, and how about you and I?

"What is going to be the impact on you and I?" WRONG
"What is going to be the impact on you and me?" RIGHT

"He sent an invitation to you and I." WRONG
"He sent an invitation to you and me." RIGHT

Take the "you" out of the sentence to test it for the correct usage.

"He sent an invitation to I." NO, NO, NO!

"He sent an invitation to me." YES, YES, YES!

Now you can put the "you" back in the sentence.

"He sent an invitation to you and me."

"Between you and I." WRONG
"Between you and me." RIGHT

Whew... I'm glad I got that off my chest!!:silly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store