bottom feeder for a 29g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
Hi,

Well, the book is writen by a expert (David Alderton) and he says they get to 2 and a quarter inches. Also all the other sites I've visited say they get to just over 2 inches. Also I've looked at thr profile here for Botia sidthimunki and they say max size is 2 inches.

Cory Lover

Last edited:

Aussie_hippie_2

AC Members
Sep 17, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.myspace.com
Sorry about your dog Corey Lover. I'm sure you gave it a great life.

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
Cory Lover said:
It doesn't really look like that. My book 'Aquarium and Pond Fish' be David Alderton, says they only get to 2 inches.
They change their pattern when they get larger and, usually, only a dark stripe is left. Only juveniles show the chain pattern.

Have a look at Loaches online. They give 5 inches as maximum in the list at the top, and the last article gives 6 inches as maximum.

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
Cory Lover said:
Hi,

Well, the book is writen by a expert (David Alderton) and he says they get to 2 and a quarter inches. Also all the other sites I've visited say they get to just over 2 inches. Also I've looked at thr profile here for Botia sidthimunki and they say max size is 2 inches.

Cory Lover
Do not confuse being an author with being an expert. It is not likely that one person could be an expert on everything related to fish. Botia sidthimunki is a relatively new species to the aquarium trade. Many have used 10 gallon aquariums to house these loaches and have thus stunted them perpetuating the myth of their size. Obviously because of these myths there are many profiles on the web that are in need of an update. You can choose to believe who you want, but if I am going to call anyone an expert on loaches it is going to be the fine members of LOL.

AndrewMack

AC Members
Jan 17, 2006
Fleming Island FL
H3D said:
Do not confuse being an author with being an expert. It is not likely that one person could be an expert on everything related to fish. Botia sidthimunki is a relatively new species to the aquarium trade. Many have used 10 gallon aquariums to house these loaches and have thus stunted them perpetuating the myth of their size. Obviously because of these myths there are many profiles on the web that are in need of an update. You can choose to believe who you want, but if I am going to call anyone an expert on loaches it is going to be the fine members of LOL.
I dont know how the dwarf loach is new, I bought my first sidthimunki in 1976

Ulan

AC Members
Sep 22, 2006
AndrewMack said:
I dont know how the dwarf loach is new, I bought my first sidthimunki in 1976
But it's relatively rare and not much information is available.

Anyway, that doesn't really matter. As long as there are several people reporting B. sidthimunki to get 6 inches long, you can safely assume that that information is correct. There might be the possibility that several closely related species with different maximal sizes exist, but as people describe the change of patterns with age, I prefer to think it's indeed B. sidthimunki they are talking about.

Aussie_hippie_2

AC Members
Sep 17, 2006
Wisconsin USA
www.myspace.com
So, back to topic. I've decided t go for some cories. They should really like the sand in my tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store