Bought my Dad a 5g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mystic1

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
Thank you to everyone who took the time to share their ideas and knowledge with me. Here are a couple of pics. of my dad's Betta and 1 of the tank itself.
Sorry they are not so great but the little buggar is always on the move and my camera is not very good. You can't see it but the Betta also has a bit of purple and turquoise in him. He's very handsome and loaded with personality, it's going to be hard to part with him. At least I get to share custody with my Dad!

Dad's Betta 1.JPG Dad's Betta 2.JPG dads tank.JPG

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
He's a beautiful betta. I hope your dad likes him as much as we do!!!

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
The betta is beautiful and he looks happy and well adjusted in his new home. Does your dad like him? I hope so.

Marinemom

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
I bought my dad a 5g desk top tank and am currently cycling it at my home because he does not know he's getting it. Once cycled I plan to drain the water into a couple of bottles then add it back when I get to his house (only 20 minutes away).He lives alone and has not had fish before but I am there visiting him at least twice a week if not more and will be doing the maintence, I myself have a 52g and a 40g. I was thinking he would enjoy mollies and or fancy guppies. I am wondering if I could put in both and if so how many of each. Would 2 mollies and maybe 4 guppies be too many? I have never dealt with a tank this small before. I want him to be able to watch something other than TV all day. I personally love betta's but my sister thinks he would be happier if there was more than 1 fish and I tend to agree. I am open for suggestions.
You can also put 2 male platies and a female betta in the tank.

mystic1

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
Dad is getting him on Fathers day. I wanted to observe him and make sure all was going well before I took him to dad and it would be 5-7 days before I would see him again, meaning Dad and the Betta. By having him for awhile I know just how much to feed him and will be able to share that info. with my father. I have jugs ready to drain and transport the water he is in and my LFS gave me an extra bag to transport the fish. I will keep enough water in the tank to keep the gravel wet. As far as my dad will know it is all new, he will have no idea what I went through or what I put all of you through asking for help!!LOL. I'm very surprised though that my dad has not asked why i'm cleaning up the counter in his kitchen!!! This little guy is just bursting with personality and i'm sure my dad will get a big kick outta' him. Plus by having him for a couple of weeks I know he is healthy and should give my Dad a lot of enjoyment and I won't spend the first week worried that something might be wrong with a newbie fish and i'm not there, dad would be heartbroken. Hopefully my Dad will let me take a picture of him with his new buddy! Again, thank you guys so much for all of the input and advise.

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
You can also put 2 male platies and a female betta in the tank.

Uhhh.... no you can't. Not the female betta anyways. And as for the platies, I'd go with a larger group of a smaller species than just two bigger fishes. But why add the extra hassle? It looks good just like it is... and who knows? Maybe the Dad will want to go out and have an afternoon with his kid shopping for tank mates for Mr. Betta? :)

laurabb

AC Members
Jan 7, 2007
Beautiful betta, and what a nice gift for your dad. Please let us know how he likes it!

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I would add no more fish to that tank. It is perfect. At most either smaller snails or ghost shrimp. I think that many people are suggesting fish based on the size they come from the fish store. Platies do get large and need a min of a 10 gallon tank, ideally at least a 20 gallon tank. And white clouds are at least 2-3 times the size of neon tetras, or at least they should be.

Congrats on choosing the perfect fish setup. Bettas do take awhile to get their swimming muscles working but once they do, current is not an issue. My guy even likes the way the current moves the pellets around for him to chase.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store