Bought my Dad a 5g tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PDX-PLT

AC Members
Jan 8, 2007
How about a clown loach or two?

Just kidding!

I like the White Clouds idea. :grinyes:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Uh, white clouds do actually get big. I have 11 of them and they are about twice the size of neon tetras and about as active as danios. Just because they are sold small doesn't mean they stay small.

Seriously, your dad is older, less mobile and new to tanks. A betta is the single largest fish that will go in that tank, is colourful and easy to see and will even interact with him. It is slightly forgiving, more so than neon tetras. A small filter and heater and a quick weekly water change and you are all set.

What your dad doesn't need is a hard to take care of setup with unusal or crazy fish. Dwarf puffers require live food and often blend in to their surroundings. Otos don't move much. Schooling fish tend to hide in small tanks. Any pleco is too large.

A betta is about as simple as it comes and will provide the best show for your dad.

sirasoni

AC Members
May 18, 2004
Palos Verdes, CA
Visit site
It's actually very useful. You have to consider the adult size of the fish when using it though. It's not 1 gallon for every 1 inch fish. It's 1 gallon per inch of fish.

It's not a hard and fast rule though. For example, you're not going to put a 5" cichlid in a 5 gallon tank and expect it to survive very long. It does work for stocking purposes in example cardinal tetras are about an inch or so give or take as adults so I could put 5 in 5 gallons. With proper maintenance and filtration, they'd most likely flourish.
i read it correctly. still don't think it's very useful as a rule...it doesn't really work for anything that gets larger than a couple inches

DebbyS

AC Members
Sep 19, 2006
Was he ever a fisherman? Catfish might interest him. I'd also suggest simple tetras, maybe colorful glowlights (if dad can see color), or black neons. While betas are interesting, if [when?] it jumped out and if it died, dad would feel bad.

The opportunity to watch something alive and lively (that's not TV) may perk your dad up. :)

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Was he ever a fisherman? Catfish might interest him. I'd also suggest simple tetras, maybe colorful glowlights (if dad can see color), or black neons. While betas are interesting, if [when?] it jumped out and if it died, dad would feel bad.

The opportunity to watch something alive and lively (that's not TV) may perk your dad up. :)
I'm pretty sure the tank will have a hood, but either way all fish can jump, so it's not just bettas at risk for jumping to their deaths. Glowlights and black neons grow too big around 2 inches long for one fish, and they prefer to be in schools.

I agree with TKOS that you should just stick with the betta, as he is an older gentlemen. The betta is personable, takes betta pellets(does not need live foods like dwarf puffer), and is large enough and easy to see as well as colorful. You also don't have to worry about over stocking the tank with the suggestions some people are giving.

Alestro Bakai

Shaman of the Whills
Apr 20, 2006
I'd go with a Dwarf Puffer and an oto... The puffer should be very intereactive with him and the oto would be good for any algae that would grow.
Very good idea. Dwarf Puffers are amongst the most intelligent fish I've ever dealt with. They're fun to watch and fearless. They'll swim up to your finger from day one. If you want some action-entertainment, get some tiny snails from your LFS and the Dwarf Puffer will hunt them. Nothing's more fun to watch. General rule is 1 Dwarf Puffer per 5G.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Yes, but a puffer requires a lot of maintanence what with live food and all.

Swim up to your finger from day one? Perhaps some but no puffer I ever had did that until much later.

As for bettas jumping outof a topless tank? Non of my tanks have closed tops and non of my fish ever jump. All bettas I have ever own have never jumped out. They generally jump when conditions are bad - which almost always means poor water quality.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
This has been my experience as well. Any betta I have ever owned has never jumped to date. Most of the time, fish tend to jump out when the water conditions are poor. Even then most of them will stay and tolerate it. Poor things. I think the betta idea for a 5 gallon tank is the best for this older gentleman. They are very colorful, out and about most of the time if they are happy, and generally easy to take care of. Definetly do not overstock it as some of the suggestions so far have given ideas that would be overstocking this tiny tank. I say go for the betta.

Marinemom

mystic1

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
Thank you to everyone for your suggestions. I googled the fish that were suggested and not only did I gain some knowledge but I made a decision. Once my eyes were opened to the wonderful world of Betta's I decided to go that route for my Dad. I honestly did not know how many choices one has with the Betta. I am actually considering getting one for myself also. Again thanks everybody.
:dance2:

severum mama

is a big bowl of wrong.
Dec 30, 2006
North GA
If it were me giving the tank as a gift, I'd look for a crowntail betta. Their finnage is gorgeous, and as mentioned, they come in any color you can imagine. Female bettas are beautiful too, and WAY underrated IMO. Bettas don't get lonely being alone like schooling fish do, and they really interact with the owner. My bettas have always liked resting in the leaves of java fern, and you can do a really pretty aquascape by attaching the java fern to a small piece of driftwood. It's a very easy plant to grow, and will grow under pretty much any flourescent light.

This is a really thoughtful gift. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store