Boy do I feel like an IDIOT (yes with capital letters)!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I have a 60 with African Cichlids.... I definately don't think that would work.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
jack dempseys need a 55 just for themselves just so you know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LOL...over stock police..RUN!!!!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Do you think if I put the Jack Dempsey in with my Oscar that he would be okay. Ole' idiot here thought it was a convict and has it in a 30 gallon tank. I really don't have any other tank to put it in . . . other than my 100. Or maybe I need a new tank.
i dont think it will work with your stocking.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Live and learn, either which way they're very pretty fish:) and look like buddies too!

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i would say they'd be ok in the 30 for now as long as the dempsey isn't too big. how big is it? from the photos, it seems he's no more than 6 inches, eh?

then again, an excuse to get another tank is always a very valid excuse! lol!

as for adding the dempsey to the 100 gal oscar tank, i've read about dempseys being fine tankmates for oscars. it all does depend on the individual personalities of the fish though, as well as the size of one fish relative to the other. i wouldn't put a 5 inch or smaller dempsey in with an oscar that is 10 inches or so - that's just asking for trouble, as the oscar may think 'mmmm..... dempsey snack!' or may harass the smaller fish.

on a semi-related side note: my oscar has grown up with a paratilapia polleni (black diamond cichlid). both are the same in personality (very mellow) and get along great. the oscar is a few inches bigger than the polleni, but the polleni is definitely the tank boss, lol.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Thanks BettaFishMommy. The Jack is not that big, no more than 4 inches. When he starts getting a little bigger I will either try to introduce him to my Oscar or get another tank. I don't need much of an excuse to get another tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
should i not try and edimucate? i really dont know what you mean by saying this.

I am saying I don't believe a single JD needs a 55 all to their self, easily room for tankmates.

Reactions: krazykilroy

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I thought he was kinda funny....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store