Boy do I feel like an IDIOT (yes with capital letters)!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
oh ok why cant you say that instead of confusing people?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Chill jd....I am pretty sure most members here would not be confused by my statement. AC has had it's periods of stocking police and seems to be in another one currently. Just like a recent post in another thread voicing concerns over 3 two inch clown loaches in a 90 gallon tank.

:cool:

manda321

AC Members
May 15, 2012
So I am in Petco about a year ago and in the aquatic plant area, someone has dumped a bag of fish. I pick it up and one of the employees says, "look a pair of convicts". So I buy into the facade and adopt them (which I would have done anyway). I get them their own tank and read up on them. All the information I have says how easy they are to breed, so I think I will give it a shot. Long story short, after a year nothing. Well finally today someone tells me what you have there is a female convict and a jack dempsey@! Boy do I feel stupid.View attachment 195916View attachment 195917View attachment 195918View attachment 195919View attachment 195920View attachment 195921View attachment 195922View attachment 195923
Lmao that's why my advice didn't work huh lol.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
Chill jd....I am pretty sure most members here would not be confused by my statement. AC has had it's periods of stocking police and seems to be in another one currently. Just like a recent post in another thread voicing concerns over 3 two inch clown loaches in a 90 gallon tank.

:cool:
so people should sit back and not tell people requirements of the fish? i dobt quite get that.

manda321

AC Members
May 15, 2012
should i not try and edimucate? i really dont know what you mean by saying this.

I'm sure it was a joke. But truely agreed. Those dempseys grow quick and too big for a 30.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
can't be too quickly on growth if she has had it a year and it is 4"......

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
@AAF....one person's "requirements" doesn't make it fact. JDs can easily live a full healthy life in a 55, WITH tank mates...just my experience over 40 years....

Reactions: krazykilroy

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
@AAF....one person's "requirements" doesn't make it fact. JDs can easily live a full healthy life in a 55, WITH tank mates...just my experience over 40 years....
ok either way they need a 55.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Peace and Out Man.

oo7genie

Hello my fintime gal...
Nov 18, 2010
Eugene, OR
Real Name
Rick
so people should sit back and not tell people requirements of the fish? i dobt quite get that.

If you really want to get it, keep reading. If you're likely to take offense, please skip this reply.

It's a matter of HOW you voice your opinion.

The way I see it, accusations of "Stocking Police" (which are meant to be humorous, not to offend or insult) are likely to come when someone makes a statement about stocking levels or overstocking as if it's a dead set fact, carved in stone, with no possible exceptions whatsoever, such as "Dempseys need a 55 gallon all to themselves, just so you know." To be perfectly honest, it also sounded a bit condescending, IMO.

It may not seem like a big thing to you, but if you were to simply change how you state your opinion, it would make a big difference. Say you said something like "A 55g (may be a bit, might end up being, could be, etc. take your pick...) too small for a Dempsey with other tankmates. Then you've simply stated your opinion, the person you're offering the advice to can still take it into consideration, but you don't sound like you're saying it's impossible for things to work out any other way.

Either way, you're making the same point, but there's a big difference in how your statement comes off, especially to those who have personal experiences (sometimes decades worth) that vary from your own, or from what your online research has taught you.

I'm not trying to come off as a jerk, you just seemed genuinely concerned, and I thought I'd offer my viewpoint.

Reactions: krazykilroy

rmcder

AC Members
Jul 18, 2005
Both dempsey and convict are female.
Even without the pictures I would have guessed that... A convict will mate with ANYTHING! :rofl:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store