Breeding fish with bottom dwellers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
good advice above

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
I know I'm late to the conversation - but I've kept BN plecos in ALL of my breeding set ups for more than a decade- with apistogramma, angels, kribs, rams, and discus- I've never lost eggs in a tank with only the parents and BN plecos.
You've got the wrong culprit. BN are the LEAST likely of your tank mates to interrupt your spawns.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
Rbishop- I'm surprised at you...
BN will take over that cave in a second, for preference and breding- Rams on the other hand will neither hide in caves nor will they spawn inside them- on top? probably. Inside? never.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
hmmm...caves with narrow slits will allow some slim body fish in but keep wide plecos out... and will admit most my pleco thefts were young fish not older ones.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm thinking otocinclus rather than corys; but really, determined cichlid parents should be able to fight off casual incursions from BN or corys with lots of hiding places. I've had small cichlid breeding survivors in planted tanks many times, not many fry, but some. That worked for my way of thinking & wanted survivor rates. That said I didn't try Bolivan rams...maybe they're just too wimpy vs apistos etc? That's kinda the way I hear it around the web, not to say all Bolivians are that lesser parent-wise? I dunno...

Is your tank as heavily planted as you've said? There's some debatable issues there...lots of caves, roots?

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
If otos don't eat cherry shrimp then I don't think they would eat eggs.

Chicxulub

The Hand of the King
Jul 12, 2012
I crash at the K-Pg
en.wikipedia.org
Real Name
Rob
Cories are worse egg eaters than bristlenose. TBH, all fish will eat eggs if given the chance. The rams will usually protect their eggs and chase off any predators. Failing to do that means they're crummy parents. Best bet will be to move the parents to a tank of their own.
^This.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store