Breeding German Blue Rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Bolvians look cool, I may try them. I was initally gonna go Convict, but... thousands of babies ain't waht i was looking for. The apistos get too big for the tanks i can put them in.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
^+1 on bolivians, they would work too.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
IME, bolivians are harder to find in fish stores than GBRs. My LFS carries balloon rams, gold rams, many apistos, GBRs, electics, and others except for bolivians. I expect they would be in the same price range($10-$15 each). Bolivians are less colorful IME.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I'm pretty sure that apistogramma trifasciata could work with just the cories, you'll want 1 m and a couple females.

Honestly, it just seems like a PITA to try that right now, I'd wait until your tank is more stable and you can afford to get them yourself (along with fry food, and potentially grow-out tanks).

You shouldn't get too far ahead of yourself, but if you do decide to try then you need to figure out what to do once they actually DO breed, that way you're prepared. I don't have experience with rams, but you're going to want some kind of grow out tank sooner than later.

SickBum

AC Members
Mar 6, 2011
Well... I'm completely broke right now, any Rams I'd be buying would be on my moms "I Owe You" list. and I have no room for another tank. I've basically got no other choice but to use the 20long... however, there could be another option, if I was willing to scrap my plans for the 30tall (grow out for fry). If I was willing to scrap those plans I could put the pair in that tank insead.... but then I would need another grow out tank. I think Ima try my luck with the 20long first, if that doesn't work out then I can try other tanks.
Put them in the 30, then take them out once they spawn.

Not sure how good of parents they are but being somewhat weaker is actually a good reason to breed them. So long as you don't excessively baby them tank raised are probably going to be fairly hardy compared to typical stock.

One thing I have considered is trying to breed some cold hardiness into some of the cichlids. Since some species can have hundreds of surviving fry from one spawn it wouldn't be too hard if you make it a long term project. But the issue here is fish like that would be extremely invasive if released. A lake full of buttikoferi would be amusing at first but that would spell the end of any decent sized fish.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
I'm pretty sure that apistogramma trifasciata could work with just the cories, you'll want 1 m and a couple females.

Honestly, it just seems like a PITA to try that right now, I'd wait until your tank is more stable and you can afford to get them yourself (along with fry food, and potentially grow-out tanks).

You shouldn't get too far ahead of yourself, but if you do decide to try then you need to figure out what to do once they actually DO breed, that way you're prepared. I don't have experience with rams, but you're going to want some kind of grow out tank sooner than later.
*sigh* you're probably right.... when i can afford it I will do it!
Put them in the 30, then take them out once they spawn.

Not sure how good of parents they are but being somewhat weaker is actually a good reason to breed them. So long as you don't excessively baby them tank raised are probably going to be fairly hardy compared to typical stock.

One thing I have considered is trying to breed some cold hardiness into some of the cichlids. Since some species can have hundreds of surviving fry from one spawn it wouldn't be too hard if you make it a long term project. But the issue here is fish like that would be extremely invasive if released. A lake full of buttikoferi would be amusing at first but that would spell the end of any decent sized fish.
Cold hardiness, lol, I once had a little daydream about it. Imagine cold-hardy convicts... in the delaware river.... oh my. But cold hardy rams/cichlids wouldn't be something I can't do, my basement stays at a relativly cool 50-55 in winter, that's pretty cold for tropical fishes. And trust me, babying fish isn't something I'm known for. TBH, I have never even attempted to make the fry survive, I usually go with the old "If they make it they make it" idea. Course, with these I would be trying to help the fry a little, so they would get baby foods, but that's about it...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store