Brentling's 125 Startup Thread - Lots o' Pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
A great thread and progress!

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
I predict green water problems in the near future :frog:

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
I watched another guy grow his plants with low to no water, it took him months to grow his plants.
I think you should just fill the tank and let the plants grow.

After he finally filled his tank with water, he then got green water.. lol
Waiting months before filling your tank to enjoy your plants seems kind a waste of time, I'm not sure what the benefits are doing this?
From the problems he had doing this, I think he would have had less problems with a filled tank.

I really think what you are doing is cool and looks great and is interesting to watch. The not adding water thing is just something I don't understand :perv:

I just wanted the green water thing noted for my own learning, so I can bring it up later if it happens :p

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
I watched another guy grow his plants with low to no water, it took him months to grow his plants.
I think you should just fill the tank and let the plants grow.

After he finally filled his tank with water, he then got green water.. lol
Waiting months before filling your tank to enjoy your plants seems kind a waste of time, I'm not sure what the benefits are doing this?
From the problems he had doing this, I think he would have had less problems with a filled tank.

I really think what you are doing is cool and looks great and is interesting to watch. The not adding water thing is just something I don't understand :perv:

I just wanted the green water thing noted for my own learning, so I can bring it up later if it happens :p

Growing plants emersed is technically an easier task than growing submersed. Plants grow stronger and fuller emersed, but slower. It's easier because you dose less(don't have to saturate the entire water column), you use the same lights(with added benefit due to no dilution from the water), and you don't need co2 since the plants are exposed to air.

The main benefit is that the plants root better and grow fuller.

We were talking about the 2008 AGA, and we guessed that some of the higher ranking entries which including mostly glosso and HC were likely grown emersed, and then filled, had a few pics taken, and took 1st prize.

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
That explains it thanks :p

brentling

AC Members
Aug 1, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Growing plants emersed is technically an easier task than growing submersed. Plants grow stronger and fuller emersed, but slower. It's easier because you dose less(don't have to saturate the entire water column), you use the same lights(with added benefit due to no dilution from the water), and you don't need co2 since the plants are exposed to air.

The main benefit is that the plants root better and grow fuller.

We were talking about the 2008 AGA, and we guessed that some of the higher ranking entries which including mostly glosso and HC were likely grown emersed, and then filled, had a few pics taken, and took 1st prize.
Thank you! :iagree: Plus, there is no chance of algae growth at all when the plants are grown emersed. With HC and Glosso, it is particularly beneficial to grow them this way because it is hard to plant them and keep them from floating away when the tank is full. This way, the roots can grow deeply without having to worry about it.

prolude006

Senior Member-Wheres My Discount!
Oct 3, 2008
Central Vermont
Where did you get your HC? Its Looking good. I love the rena xp filter series, inexpensive and extremely reliable. Also very easy to setup and maintain. Two xp3's would be great.

Tophat665

Minion of the Scaled Ones.
Jul 13, 2006
NoVa
Let me get back to the eheim 2217s. While they are not self priming, there are two really easy ways to prim them:
1) Overfill the cannister while it is detatched, then open the taps and put the lid on gently. Yes, water will come out of the taps, but the filter will be totally full. Then close the taps and hook it up to the inlet and outlet. Open the taps and turn on the filter. If the tank is all the way full, the impeller usually has enough oomph to pull the water into the siphon. This only works when the tank is very full (and then, only sometimes).
2) The other way to do it is to hook the filter up totally empty. Open up the taps. Disconnect the outlet tube from the spray bar and suck on it until the siphon starts on the inlet side. Reconnect to the spray bar and go to town.

Neither of them 100% easy, but if you have the quick disconnect taps, you will only need to do it if you are cleaning out the tubes. Otherwise, you never need to lose the siphon.

Here is a great tutorial on Eheim Classic filter maintenance.

There is a big drop off in flow between the 2217 and the 2215. It's bigger than what the specs suggest because the media chamber and tubing for the 2215 are smaller and get partially clogged more easily than on the 2217. With the 2217, you need to clean your tubing every couple of YEARS. With the 2215, every 6 months or so (and more often with the 2213 and 2211).

I would seriously consider putting a pair of 2217's on a 125. In fact, If I had a 125, I would Certainly do so (and probably a pair of double well aquaclears - but then again I am an overfiltration nut. Hell, I put an Emperor 400 on a 20 long.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store