Brentling's 125 Startup Thread - Lots o' Pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mindcrime121

AC Members
Nov 2, 2008
Willows, California
Not to steal the thread, but how long does it take to sink wood like that? Thought about doing that with some local wood here, but lacked the patience, expecting it to take like 4-5 months or such. Is that about average?

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Truthfully I can't really remember it was so long ago. I guess it just really depends on how porous your wood is and the size. I had problems with my garbage can leaking water but all you basically gotta do is put some type of plastic lining. It took a while but no where near 4 or 5 months...but this was only one peice of wood...one huge peice. Thinkin a couple of weeks for mine...maybe a month.

Tophat665

Minion of the Scaled Ones.
Jul 13, 2006
NoVa
Months for a big piece, weeks for a small one.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
Let me give you some pointers, now that you have suffered:)

Ceramic drill bits, cost a few$, slate floor 12x12 x 3/4" thick flooring, 1-2$ each or so. Some stainless steel 2-3" long 12 or 10 size screws.

Stack the slate and break to weigh the pieces down.

Take Cork, and cover the slate if you need to hide the slate weights(or any rock etc), realize that the cork will never sink and adds buoyancy.

"U" shaped 12-18 gauge wire works well for "nailing" the Anubias or other epiphytes to cork.

If you got fungi etc in the tank doing the Dry start method, you need to allow the tank some time to "air out", it was too sealed up.
Lower the water level also.

ADA aqua soil works very well as does mineralized soil or river/Delta clays/sediments.

Regards,
Tom Barr

brentling

AC Members
Aug 1, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Thanks for your thoughts Tom. I have great respect for you and got several ideas for this tank from your site. Anubias, bolbitis, etc. is next and I will use the wire U's to attach to the rear. Just gotta figure out the first batch of fish, now.

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
You def. need a beautiful pair of Rams. Just an idea...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store