Brentling's 125 Startup Thread - Lots o' Pics

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brentling

AC Members
Aug 1, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
Water Chemistry

The tank seems to be mid-cycle. I have somewhat high ammonia, very high nitrites, and nitrates just where I want them. I was going to add some fish (Otocinclus, probably) but I think I should let the mini-cycle complete, then stock it. Opinions? I do not want to do liquid ammonia or raw shrimp fishless cycling... Then of course is the question of what to stock it with. I am not to the point of purchasisng Discus yet by any means. I'm thinking some hardy tetras like Black Phantoms, Diamond tetras, or Glo Lights.

tidioute06

AC Members
Mar 11, 2008
Glendale, AZ
It's been a few days since you filled the tank. Have you seen any adverse effects from the cork bark in the water? I got my hands on a 130g tank and I plan on doing a NC native setup. I am thinking about trying the cork bark background. Any input would be awesome.

brentling

AC Members
Aug 1, 2008
Lexington, Kentucky
It's been a few days since you filled the tank. Have you seen any adverse effects from the cork bark in the water? I got my hands on a 130g tank and I plan on doing a NC native setup. I am thinking about trying the cork bark background. Any input would be awesome.
The water looks a bit like iced tea. My daughter wants to put lemons in it! I expected this, though. I imagine that the light level is a little reduced, but the plants are starting to get new growth and the few snails that were in there are multiplying like crazy :( To me it is what a 'blackwater' tank should look like and reminds me of pics I have seen of the Rio Negro, so I am OK with it. It also enhances the reds in he plants.

I'll put some fish in i once the cycle is complete. I expect next week wil be the time for that.

Matt101905

Love Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Arkansas
Very nice tank! That setup is going to look amazing when its all set and done!

I'm not sure if anyone suggested this before hand since I didn't read ALL the posts, but in my 55 I have this huge peice of wood, and I knew it wouldn't sink when I filled up my tank and its so big it sticks out of the tank. Anyways what I did was found a huge trash can that was water tight and filled it with water and put the wood in it until it sunk. Maybe you could have done that with your driftwood, I know you wanted them in place and stuff before hand but thats just an idea. It beats having to tie rocks to your wood in your tank. Anyways I'll be watching this thread. And I love my Rena XP3 on my 55. Works like a charm!

--Matt

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store