Building a plywood tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Updates - it only took me 2 test fills to patch all the holes, one of which was a hole where I put a screw in the wrong place and pulled it out, and never patched it up. Anyway, its been full for about a week and a half with no leaks whatsoever. I had water sitting in it for a week, then Sunday I put in a spare pump and started running charcoal in the filter to make sure there's no residue from the epoxy. I don't think there is, but can't be too sure. Going to move it into its final location this weekend, have to move the 150 out of the way.

Filter in action - the tupperware thing has some sponge pad and charcoal in it.

Pump compartment. The area in between the mech filtration and the pump will be filled with lava rock.

Full of water. I think its going to have a very cool murky/menacing look to it when its done. Not sure what I'm doing for lighting yet, but it will be pretty subdued.

Where its going - on the floor, where her current kiddie pool is right now. That end of the basement will be walled off for my fish wall/pseudo fish room. See the other thread.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
It's funny... I can have all the fish in the world in my province... but all turtles are illegal. Because a girl died of salmonella.

jtburf

I want to hunt these.
Jul 18, 2007
Houston TX
funny, last time i checked that was one of the more frowned upon pets by my local officials.

something about it having the ability to take an idiot or two's hand off:evil_lol:

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Then I would suggest all idiots keeping their hands out of the tank :evil_lol:

Squawkbert

Senior padder
Oct 3, 2006
ST.L area
www.aquaticplantcentral.com
I find the regular snappers to be much more dangerous. They can jump & turn & bite all in one motion - and if they don't get you that way, they'll wait 'till you forget that they can about lick their butts, then they'll reach out and get you.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I've relocated several commons out of the middle of the road around here. I don't know if the big difference is the species or wild vs. captive-bred, but the commons seem way more aggressive. I almost dropped one once, she was throwing her head out and snapping, and her weight was shifting around so much I could barely hold on to her. The ally doesn't really move unless seriously provoked, I have my hands in the tank for cleaning and she doesn't get that interested, as long as I keep her fairly well fed. the only time she's snapped at me is, like in the pic, when I'm holding her, usually with a dowel or something in front of her face to give her something to latch onto.

rwilliams254

AC Members
May 16, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Looking good!!!

mudskippers

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Tempe, AZ
great job! crazy turtle.. :)

flapper12

AC Members