Building Large Planted Aquarium/Terrarium/Paludarium 10x11 feet

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Abin Philip

AC Members
Nov 16, 2013
Regarding under water plants would like to go with various varieties of anubias, ferns and moss…hope they can survive in natural sunlight…wld also like to give amzon swords, crypts n vals too a try if possible…terrestrial plants not yet decided…suggestions r most welcome..
Regarding fishes planning to go for school of any tetra variety, angels n discuss….cant opt for frogs/crabs/reptiles...as they r not common over here..morover wont get along with the fishes i wish to opt for.....

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Regarding under water plants would like to go with various varieties of anubias, ferns and moss…hope they can survive in natural sunlight…wld also like to give amzon swords, crypts n vals too a try if possible…terrestrial plants not yet decided…suggestions r most welcome..
Regarding fishes planning to go for school of any tetra variety, angels n discuss….cant opt for frogs/crabs/reptiles...as they r not common over here..morover wont get along with the fishes i wish to opt for.....
For the edge where the land meets the water you could use pothos or the golden pothos. They do very well with their roots in the water. This way you could create the "land meets sea" area so to speak and the pothos will help with nitrates. As for other terrestrial plants, is there any particular height, color, etc youd like? Im asking because there is soooo many plants.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
Lookin good! What country are you from? We might be able to help you find some local plants/animals to live in your tank. Do you have the ability to do some kind of spot or pendant lighting if the natural light is just not enough to grow aquatic plants? Pendant lighting might allow you to create some sweet lighting effects too.

Abin Philip

AC Members
Nov 16, 2013
I'm from kerala, India...intrested in fish only set up cz others may pose a threat to th fishes...height f plants go upto 7 feet...upwards tat wil go with some creepers tat attaches itself to walls....my problem is watering th plants can always keep th area moist....nly watering couple of times a day is possible ...so pls suggests plants tat can suit such conditions

Abin Philip

AC Members
Nov 16, 2013
Ya if natural light dosent turn out to b enough wil b gng for led....which wil giv a good view at night too

Fat Homer

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
-852-
No suggestions for plants, but **** im jealous of the setup your building...

That thing could make an absolutely amazing paludarium / terrium...

Cant wait to see more progress pics...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
It's a bit late to engineer around the idea, but something to consider for watering your plants would be running pump(s) with lines up to where the plants are growing. You could run the pumps all day (for moss or something) or just set periods to water your plants. Something to consider... Personally, if the humidity is high enough I would do some emersed Java Fern and lots of moss on the cement; It would be a very low maintenance background that is constantly changing. Some vivarium guys blend moss, buttermilk, and some fern leaves/spores in a blender and then paint the mixture on their tanks. It is a a pretty good way to get a large area of growth.

Abin Philip

AC Members
Nov 16, 2013
Ya i too had thought f running a pipe around...bt anothr problem tat i fear tat could arise is plants planted in pot holes...extra water can gt collected thr and cause damage to plants...i cant cover th whole area with java moss n fern as it would b a very costly affair as its very costly over here.....bt considering thm underwater would be fine....

calivivarium1

Finished the fight
May 5, 2008
Fresno, California
If it's expensive then considering a "milkshake" of moss, ferns, and buttermilk is a very good idea. You essentially create a paste that you paint over the surfaces where you want moss/ferns to grow by; this way you don't have to by lots of actual moss/ferns; you let them grow from spores. You could even start growing them underwater then use your cuttings for the above water portions Here is a link to what I am talking about: http://www.ehow.com/how_6582082_grow-moss-buttermilk.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store