bulb anemone not looking to good

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I hope your taking this as a friendly back and forth learning experience because the last thing I want to do is make enemies or even upset people on here.

As far as the 10k vs 20k, your referring to Metal Hilides, which the 10k PAR output is much higher than a 20k. This would fall under the "intensity" of the light vs the spectrum of the light. Also, 10K lights put out more of the red spectrum, which is also used by the photosynthesis process. But there are reasons people do not run 10k or 20k MH lights alone, they are almost always paired up with Actinic CFL/VHO/T5HO lights right? They use the MH light to be able to get the intensity of the light to reach the bottom of the tank (like for clams), where as using CFLs, especially if you try only Actinics with nothing else, the intensity is greatly reduced by the distance it must travel through the water. I believe this is the reason that you can not use Actinic lights alone because it does not put out nearly enough intensity to fully "feed" photosynthetic species even though the spectrum is the most ideal for that process. With Day lights and MH lights it will suppliment the blue by adding overall light intensity as well as the red spectrum in the tank.

Again let me refer you to this: http://www.serc.si.edu/labs/phytoplankton/primer/components_phyto.jsp

"The graph depicts three typical absorbance spectra for various types of phytoplankton. As you can see, absorption is greatest in the blue region of the spectrum, with a significant peak in the orange to red region of the spectrum. Absorption is the lowest in the green region, hence the green color of the water."

I don't claim to have all the answers, or even claim what I am saying is correct, it is just what my understanding has been for many years. I don't even know how or why I think what I do, if a LFS told me, or I read it elsewhere, but I swear I am not just pulling it out of my ... :)

Last edited:

jojo22

Salt-aholic Xtreme
Sep 21, 2006
Ok so can you expalin to me what phyto has to do with the zooxanthellae algae which is what lives in the coral and absorbs the light to give the coral it's energy??? Phyto is a good source of food but most corals depend on zooxanthellae algae for 90% of their energy. I am really curious where phyto plankton comes into play here.

Also VERY few people run a 20K with actinic suppliments, that would be way too blue.

Last edited:

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Ok, if possible please, can we keep thread on the OP's question as i dont want to loose what this thread is actually regarding. I know there maybe an issue at hand with regards to acceptable lighting for the Nem in Cfasulo's tank, but i dont want this thread to become a war of words over the entire subject of lighting.

For reference, here is Cfasulo's last post...

cfasulo
I checked my water cause thats what i thought it was, but the water quality wasnt bad. i have sun lights and the blue bulbs i dont know exactly what they are called. I wake up at 545 in the am and i put the sun light one on for about 10 to 15 minutes then i put the blue bulbs on with the sun light until about 8 pm then i turn the sun light bulbs off. and leave the blue bulbs on for about 20 minutes. when i put him in the tank i put him low in the middle of the tank so he can get the most light. then he moved to the left side of the tank kind of under a cliff. help me out guys
Thanks and have a good day..

Niko

cfasulo

AC Members
Dec 21, 2006
The reason why i dont know much about my equipment is cause my uncle passed away and left it to me. I have a 30 gallon tanke 40 lbs of live rock and 40 pounds of live sand. no filter i was told i didnt need one. i have a protein skimmer but i am not sure if that is working properly. I have a 1200 maxi jet and a heater

my ph is 8.4, ammonia was .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0,

I have been using regular tap water for my water changes every week, and then i check the parameters and nothing have ever been out of whack.

i have a orbit compact fluorescent light 130w 2 lunar lights. my uncle left me the light with the bulbs so i have changed them so i dont know what kind of bulbs they are. but like i said one is a sun bulb and the other is the blue bulb.

The anemone has actually passed on. so right now i have a clownfish, 3 blue green choris and a cardinal fish. with a coral banded shrimp and 3 peppermint shrimp. some crabs and snails.

the tank is only about 6 months old.
i was thinking of getting a refugium with a uv sterilizer as i am trying to upgrade and get better equipment.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Sorry to hear about your anemone. It's never pleasant to lose anything. Your ammonia needs to be zero and as I'm so paranoid about them, do me a favour and check for Phosphates especially as you're using tap water.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
I would not worry about the lighting at this point since you dont have any more corals. I would get a filter either a HOB or a cannister since that .25ppm of amonia might not be there if there was a filter attached to that 30G. I would stop using tap water and find a local fish store that sells RO/DI water and use that also you said you been changing the water about once a week? Are you putting in SW back in or just regular tap w/ no salt? I would check the Specifiv Gravity, using a hydrometer or refractometer (more accurate but more $$$) checking for phosphates would not hurt since high phos = algae diatom (sp) bloom let us know how it goes.

cfasulo

AC Members
Dec 21, 2006
When i change the water i put salt in the specific gravity is fine. I am going to the store tomorrow to buy a phosphate tester and specific one you guys would recommend.
Thanks guys i think i am just going to stick with fish for now since i need to get more equipment to make the tank better.

Another quick question regarding a refugium could i just use a 10 gallon tank or a smaller tank or do i need to buy something special

Also does anyone know how hard it is to drill a hole in glass.

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
I use API test kits. they seem fine and are fairly accurate, 10G fuge is fine. LFS can drill holes in your tank. Just make sure you add a light for what ever algea you decide to put in your fuge.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
When i change the water i put salt in the specific gravity is fine. I am going to the store tomorrow to buy a phosphate tester and specific one you guys would recommend.
Thanks guys i think i am just going to stick with fish for now since i need to get more equipment to make the tank better.

Another quick question regarding a refugium could i just use a 10 gallon tank or a smaller tank or do i need to buy something special

Also does anyone know how hard it is to drill a hole in glass.
Drilling tanks are very easy, just takes patience and a little understanding on how the drilling process works..here is a few pics from when i drilled me last reef...

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=765586&postcount=29

As said above, the 10gal will be just fine for you..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store