Buyer beware of the Fish Den, NY

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Milfsplitta

AC Members
Dec 18, 2014
Sydney Australia
Real Name
Jason
If youre trying to upload pictures, click the upload pic button, on the pop up box it says url or file. Go to file. Then theres a button called basic uploader bottom right corner. Click that and go for youre life. Worked for me a day ago

discusman00

AC Members
Dec 19, 2014
More pictures coming after the new year. I wish everyone a great holiday. Thanks to Milfsplitta for the schooling on the upload.

ziouxpioux

Registered Member
Mar 17, 2015
I just registered because I was reading the bad review on The Fish Den. Honestly, I have no idea where you get the idea that you claim these people are horrible sellers.??? I have purchased two separate orders from them and both times I was very impressed at their professionalism, their swift responses to communication with me, their extremely awesome job of packing the fish, AND THE QUALITY OF THEIR FISH.

My discus are small but much bigger than I expected. I purchased the smaller ones. duh!!! They do not looked starved out, their young faces are not overly pointed. When hatched Discus have pointy faces and as they mature they become rounded as seen in adults. My Discus are superb as, are the rest of my orders. I would never hesitate to order again nor do I hesitate to recommend The Fish Den. Karen Campbell And I have been keeping, shipping and breeding and buying fish for over a half a century.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
That is so so sad. I know how disappointed I would have been if I had received these fish. On the other hand, now you have them, you just have to give them a home, but it is just not what you want to see in your tank. I am glad you brought this to the attention of other Discus keepers.

ziouxpioux

Registered Member
Mar 17, 2015
Well, I have learned my lesson about buying fish on the internet. Research, ask for photos, be very specific in your expectations.

I found this guy on Aquabid (petpeve is the name there) and bought through his website (The Fish Den). He did not have stellar reviews on Aquabid, but since the negative was all from one disgruntled customer and the other reviews were positive, I figured everyone makes mistakes once in a while.

So I went ahead and ordered 6 discus. Well, here is the email I sent him last night. I think it pretty much says it all:

Dear Fish Den,

I wanted to take a moment to let you know how disappointing the discus you sent me are.

First issue was the sloppy packaging. Both of the Turquoises' bags leaked during shipping. One of the fish didn't even have enough water left to completely cover him. I feel very lucky we were able to save him.

Secondly, both the Cobalt Blue discus you sent are obviously stunted. As a breeder/dealer, I would think it would be obvious to you immediately that these are not good/healthy fish. Their football shape and large eyes are very evident and every discus keeper knows that is not the condition a responsible breeder should be selling.

Thirdly, the Pigeon Bloods are both peppered. Again, a responsible breeder would not send these fish to buyer unless the condition had been clearly communicated.

As I've only had the fish in my care for 4 days, I think it's obvious that you sent me sub par discus, not poor conditions on my part.

It's now apparent to me why your prices seemed so "reasonable". Had you communicated the fish you were sending at the prices you quoted were not genetically sound, that I was risking receiving below average fish, I would have nothing to complain about. Unfortunately for me, I trusted you and the reviews on Aquabid. Never again.

Plus if you were wanting show quality Discus you should have bought show quality. When you pay much less for an item fish or otherwise, expecting that you are the shopper of the year - you get what you paid for. Myself, I had looked around and saw show quality and breeder quality Discus which, noway could I afford. I was thrilled to get the Discus from The Fish Den and I am very happy with the fish they sent - beautifies and their color will improve as they mature - which is what Discus do.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store