Buying a new tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If you have a Local Fish Store worth their weight in salt (no pun intended), they can order you a complete top frame for a standard 180. A guy in my area just had one ordered in at my LFS. Took a week. It won't matter if it comes from Marineland (Perfecto) or Aqueon as they are the same dimensions. Just one more reason to shop local over chain stores.

You should probably plan on replacing all of the bulbs in that fixture except the LED moonlights. You can replace the LED if you want but it is not needed and you (and your fish) won't notice the difference. I'm gussing those are double end halide bulbs so I'm not sure what your options are but shoot for something in the 14K range. Those will be a crisp blue/white. 20K if you want more blue. The power compacts can be either daylight (white), actinic (blue) or a combo. Bulb replacement will run you some coin so before you commit to that you may want to weigh that cost against a new fixture. Halides and CFLs are perfectly fine but together they will run hot (as mentioned). You do not need to repalce any bulbs until you add corals (assuming you will eventually) so this is not something that must be done now.

Are you going to run a sump on this? On a tank that size, I highly suggest that you consider it. Drill the tank now or buy a hang on back overflow box.

Congrats on the house and welcome to saltwater!!!!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I would consider flipping the light fixture, with bulb age unknown its best to replace them all and it'll add up. CFL and halide bulbs are pricey, could be bad ballast keeping the 1 halide off too.

Codyisin

AC Members
Apr 14, 2013
The tank came with a Overflow but from the looks of it plan is to drill the tank for bulk heads. I will be turning my current fw 30gal tank into the sump.

i took the halide out and its definitly a bad bulb as the filiment is broken so not a ballist. and for the CF i swaped it with a spair one i was givin and it light right up. I am going to replaced all the lights its about 70$ for 3x halide and 4xCF
I was gave a second fixture to mount over the sump and will more then likley be using the older bulbs in that i was told the bulbs in the main fixture are new the CF bulbs anyways. My trouble is i need to replace that one burnt out led and dont know what to replace it with.

Codyisin

AC Members
Apr 14, 2013
I purchased 3x halide 20k 4x cf actinic for replacement lights. i still have to find something to do about the burnt out LED. I also ordered the glass i went with 5" wide .5in for braces the factory braces are only 2" so i know its overkill but overkill vs a flooded house? i think so... Who knows somewhere to get some high stregnth silicone fish safe?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
It is most likely a .5 to 1W chip. Not sure where to tell you to go and get one of those on an aquarium LED site. You can try here..

http://www.rapidled.com/moonlight-kits/

Check your connection to that chip first. May be something simple like that.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
There are lots of threads out there on what to use and what not to use. I seem to recall that being one of the more recommended silicones. Make sure that whatever you use is 100% silicone and contains no mold preventatives.

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
someone told me to get Momentive RTV108 silicon what do you guys think?
Someone gave you great advice. Not all silicones are created equal. Do some homework on its' adhesive properties and tensile strength. May take a trip to a Grainger store or ordering it, but on a tank that size, given the water pressure involved, I wouldn't use any other adhesive. Pay close attention to expiration dates.

Also, on a tank that size, a manual caulking gun will test your "steady hands" by the time you get to the end of the first joint. Pneumatic guns are out of reach for most of us. About 4 years ago, I bought an 18V Ryobi (stop laughing, lol!) caulking gun and I gotta tell ya, it's a tool I've leaned on more than I ever thought I would. The thing's probably squeezed 10 miles of caulk and still going strong. Some of the jobs would've just been a bear with a manual gun.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store