Caiman Lizards...info?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
^ That would be awesome!

foto69man

AC Members
May 20, 2010
Thanks...the worst part will be the glass. But I figure with it being 9' I can split the glass into two 4' panels to simply it and the cost

foto69man

AC Members
May 20, 2010
Yeah I have a few from here and from MFK saved in my favorites. I'm debating still if I want it completly in-wall, partially in-wall, or freestanding. Anyone have comments on that? Pros and Cons for each?

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
I applaud you for doing your research before having an animal like this but I have to warn you against it. As a keeper who has kept special need animals, its a pain in the A$$. Its going to be hard and difficult to care for these guys. I always recommend to step aside and wait until you are sure their requirements are met.
1. Such as, will there be a constant food source available?
2. Will you be able to keep such a large cage for such a large animal. Since they are semi aquatic, they are going to be messy. I kept a water monitor here for a month, he was a 5 footer and I gotta tell yah, never again. I was just bordering the guy but I will say Monitor water is nasty especially since they loved living in it. So a high end large filter is a must. I would recommend 2 or 3 for the setup.
3. you say you are not ever going to rehome them but what happens if you are struck ill, and can no longer care for your pet. Heck, I have a 14 foot burmese python here, and I am technically the 4th owner. It was my ex's pet and when she left I got stuck holding the snake. She got it from a man who had throat cancer. he could no longer keep the snake (he got it from the herp society as an unwanted pet), so the snake came to my ex after that.

So there is a lot to think about, rare animals in the herp trade are that way for a reason. I just want you to step back and just think about these animals before you drop around a grand each for the lizards.

lindsey crashed

fish nerd.
Oct 21, 2007
ATX
PHP:
I applaud you for doing your research before having an animal like this but I have to warn you against it. As a keeper who has kept special need animals, its a pain in the A$$. Its going to be hard and difficult to care for these guys. I always recommend to step aside and wait until you are sure their requirements are met.
1. Such as, will there be a constant food source available?
2. Will you be able to keep such a large cage for such a large animal. Since they are semi aquatic, they are going to be messy. I kept a water monitor here for a month, he was a 5 footer and I gotta tell yah, never again. I was just bordering the guy but I will say Monitor water is nasty especially since they loved living in it. So a high end large filter is a must. I would recommend 2 or 3 for the setup.
3. you say you are not ever going to rehome them but what happens if you are struck ill, and can no longer care for your pet. Heck, I have a 14 foot burmese python here, and I am technically the 4th owner. It was my ex's pet and when she left I got stuck holding the snake. She got it from a man who had throat cancer. he could no longer keep the snake (he got it from the herp society as an unwanted pet), so the snake came to my ex after that.

So there is a lot to think about, rare animals in the herp trade are that way for a reason. I just want you to step back and just think about these animals before you drop around a grand each for the lizards.
that is exactly what he is doing... if you have read this thread, you will see that. :)
i don't feel its necessary to discourage someone who has been going about this the correct way. he has done a lot of research, spoken to people who own these lizards and have experience with them, looking up food sources to make sure he can provide what the lizard will need, etc...
he has stated he is on the hunt for a house that will allow him to custom build an enclosure...
finally, someone is doing everything right, and you say, hold on a minute buddy, and think about what your doing... is kind of redundant... :)
i still say go for it, man!

foto69man

AC Members
May 20, 2010
3. you say you are not ever going to rehome them but what happens if you are struck ill, and can no longer care for your pet. Heck, I have a 14 foot burmese python here, and I am technically the 4th owner. It was my ex's pet and when she left I got stuck holding the snake. She got it from a man who had throat cancer. he could no longer keep the snake (he got it from the herp society as an unwanted pet), so the snake came to my ex after that
While I agree that emergencies and accidents can happen...I can't base all my choices off of what 'could possibly' happen. I appreciate the concern, but I will just be careful, and i guess walk around in bubblewrap from now on... :Angel:

My plan, as it goes is this:

1. Find a house I like
2. Get the suppleis to build his/her tank
3. Start an apple snail colony so I have a succesful and prolific food supply avaialable even before the liazrd arrives.
4. Start building the enclosure(I agree with you about the heavy filter requirement...I had a couple RES before, so I understand what you are talking about)
5. Let the enclosure run/cycle for a month or two
6. Get the camian lizard and settle him in(after a bit of QTing to watch for dieseases and such)

Once I get my new computer(i'm using my work one) I'll put up my google sketchup ideas for his tank...

Just for randomness...this is one of my current little guys

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store