Cheap PVC canister manifold for two tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
It would be much more reliable if you simply bulkheaded the two tanks together and ran the drain in one tank and the return in the other. If you ran a 3" or 4" balance tube between the two tanks with a strainer on each end your only worry would be if the strainer clogged and it would take alot of clogging to prevent 3" or 4" pipe from not being able to move the relatively low flow rate of an XP5.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I m not going to use a simple capped screen strainer. In fact the tube will set on the bottom of each aquarium flush against the bottom glass. The ends will have vertical slot cuts arranged around the circumference of the tube like turrets slots on a mid evil castle and/or maybe a few drilled holes. All of these slots or holes arranged around the pipe will start from the bottom if each 31 inch tall tank to about 6" up.

This will not only provide additional support for the pipe at each end besides having it rest on both tank rims at the top, but will provide a massive low pressure water access points into the pipe allowing nothing to stick or clog not even dead fish.

There will just be too much surface area water access on the screen a 6 inch high X by 6" inch circle that nothing will be large enough to clog it at any one point and even though I will not need a mesh screen for tiny fish or fry, I can always use fish net and material slip overs.

Remember each tank is going to have its own inlet and outlet hose off the FX5 adjusted with Y valves to the best possible balance leaving the siphon pipe to do very little work taking care on only the slight imbalance that will probubly be a little as 3 to 5 GPH. Even after a power outage is restored the canister flow will be so balanced (95%) that the Aqua Lift Pump will only have to lift water from the top of the already filled ABS tube, only about 1/2 quart of water to restart the prime automatically.

Last edited:

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Time to conclude this thread

I was all ready to start this project and even gathered up what tools and materials I decided the best way to test the large siphon tube between the tanks was to install it prior to my next water change that way all I had to do was drain and refill one tank and let the new siphon tube take care of the second aquarium automatically

But just before I laid the saw to the ABS pipe I took one last look at my lone Electric blue male in one that and my 6 Goldies in the other aquarium when suddenly it hit me that I somehow overlooked a major obstical, even though it was so obvious. So obvious in fact that Im a little embarrassed to bring it up. The two twin 80 tanks I was planning to join using one FX5 filter, one tank is tropical and the other a cold water tank LOL, and while this would make no difference in the summertime here in SW AZ, in winter time the tanks are up to 15F different in temperature.

So anyway even though I am sure it would have worked, unless I decide to have another Goldie tank or give my golds away, the twin tanks will not be made Siamese tanks after all. The good news is I kept my Lowes receipt and got my $9 back for materials.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
I sure hope you don't take this the wrong way,but........:rofl:
ARE YOU KIDDING?????

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Please continue!!!, every thread I have ever seen with a person trying to run two tanks of a closed loop can ends up nowhere. You seem confident it would work! All of the debating and engineering you guy's went through to end like this is not good.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Hay, I have been trained to be a "stand up guy" and I could have just let it rest but instead Im stepping up to let you know that becasue of an oversight I have to hold off on what I believe would have been a working multitank canister filtered system.

Instead Im moving ahead with my $12 Sterilite 3 container sump, another thread which will probubly help more people. The sump will be for my 120 tank. As far as the twin 80's go, ill just have to be satisfied with an FX5 on one 80 and a Mag350/Fluval404 combo on the other 80;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store