Cherries Not Breeding.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
RCS are one of the ones you can just look at and they breed. :)

I would look at the Temp and pH. Both of those are pretty high with them.

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
Do you have a TDS test meter , I had same problem with yellow shrimp , they had saddles but did not Berrie up . Then james0816 told me maybe my TDS was to high and i had a TDS meter , checked it my TDS was 550 and should be down to 200 , I did this and now its around 250 and i got berried shrimp again. When i first got them they did have babys then after 6 months they stopped , it took me months to find out why

have a look here it shows the type of shrimp and TDS

http://www.shrimpkeeping.com/index.html

Drunkenbushman

AC Members
Jun 30, 2010
Melbourne Australia
Jody that link is great thank you!

I dont have a TDS meter but im deffinatly going to look into getting one.

What did you do to lower your TDS? Did it take long?

Most LFS stock them?

kj5kb

KEEPER OF CATS, FISH AND CATFISHES
Mar 1, 2007
Spring Hill Kansas SW of Kansas City
Real Name
Don
I would unplug the heater. 26C is pretty hot for them! They will be fine at 20 or even 18C.

I'd use dechlorinated tap water, dont try to get too creative with it...they like hard water.

Add cover, floating plants like hornwort. That may not help with breeding, but will help with survival.

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
I have a RO/DI Unit , maybe you can mix tap water with bottled water made from a RO unit you see in grocery stores. find out what you tap water is (TDS) call your LFS they might have a TDS meter you can use just bring in a water sample from your tank and tap see what the TDS is reading . It took me 4-5 days to lower but i was taking my time. By lowering my TDS i was removing GH,KH and the KH can give you unwanted PH swings if to low

If you mix tap and RO water you should be just fine .

i was using RO/DI water so it was 0 TDS and did it slow :)

Good Luck M8

Drunkenbushman

AC Members
Jun 30, 2010
Melbourne Australia
Cheers Jody. I bought a TDS meter from ebay last night so will have to wait a few days for it to come through.

If I just buy a large thing of bottled water on the weekend then do a half half mix and then do a 30% water change, do you think that will help?

Also I was doing some reading and my tank is quite small, 26 L or 6gal depending on what measurement you use...Should I look at upgrading to a larger tank and swapping all my equipment over?

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
I am not saying TDS is your problem it might be . Well a 6 Gal tank should hold some 60 - 75 shrimp, 6 Gal is fine that totally up to you . your looking for RO water some bottled water is just artisan well water. yea a 50/50 mix wont hurt and 30% change . What water are you using now is it tap water if so are you using prime or some other dechlorinator for the water ?

what kind of light is on your tank is it next to a window (sunlight) also your tank is Little on the warm side but its unlikely you can do anything about that your kinda on the max temp for your shrimp

15-20 Gal tank would make a nice shrimp tank

Last edited:

Drunkenbushman

AC Members
Jun 30, 2010
Melbourne Australia
I know your not saying TDS is the cause of it all but it cant hurt to do a little bit to fixing it to see if its the cause.

Ok ill go see if they have any RO water. At the moment I just use tap water with nurofin prime. Let sit 5 50-10 min then top up. I do that about once a week. Normally its only 10% tho with a quick vac. Im wondering if I left the vaccing go for to long and all the build up in the bottom of the tank is affecting the water.

It is a shrimp only tank.

Drunkenbushman

AC Members
Jun 30, 2010
Melbourne Australia
Im thinking I might go and get a 60l tank at the weekend, thats just over 15 Gal, I cant really fit a bigger thank than that in.

Swap everything over, both filters and plants and drift wood, maybe give the substrate a bit of a filter.

The lighting I have no idea what it is just a overhead light. No sunlight tho thats for sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store