Cichlid ID please :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
they're both convicts..100%
well, you're 100 percent wrong. there is no 'yellow' convict and pink convicts do NOT look yellow. you guys toss guesses around like flower petals at a wedding, but have no idea what fish you're talking about.
the second one looks very similar to the Cyrtocara moorii "Blue Dolphin" because of the nuchal hump on the head
sheeesh, mee-mee, that fish is certainly NOT a moori and a great many male central american species grow 'nuchal humps'.

the first one is a Pseudotropheus species of some type (as in East African cichlid) most likely saulosi female.

the second one is not a convict but is instead, a spilurum hybrid.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Well,sorry for the guess.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
I'm curious about what makes you think it's a spilurum hybrid versus a convict
convict cichids at that size have distinct verticle black bars beginning just behind the eye. these bars number seven in the majority but can be fewer or more depending on how much the fish has been inbred.

here's what a strue spilurus 'should' look like.

since the fish posted for identification (a) lacks the blue eye of spilurus, and (b) additionally lacks the distinct stripes of a convict and (c) has the more rounded profile, mouth structure and coloration of spilurus, it's looks like a definite hybrid cross to me.

guesses are fine if they're at least in the ball park, but posting wild guesses such as pink convict and moorii are both silly and serve no purpose. they certainly don't move the poster closer to identification.

jonah

new old member
Dec 1, 2002
Oklahoma
petsforum.com
Thanks. I still think it's just a run-of-the-mill convict, but I can see why you think it's a hybrid. I do agree that throwing wild guesses out is detrimental to identification.

BTW, that's a really nice picture. Our they yours?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Convict on the second one. I didn't see the yellow one in the first pick till now, when I refreshed. Before there was just a red x.

Astramorgaine

AC Members
Feb 6, 2007
Southern Indiana
Ok, since the jury is still out on these two, I got some better pics... Man, it's hard to take a good pic of a fish! These guys just love to swim everywhere! The yellow one likes to hide in the cave and thinks (s)he's hiding! Anyhow, here they are :)

100_0765.JPG

100_0766.JPG

100_0765.JPG 100_0766.JPG

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
now THOSE are both pink convicts. the pink one looks the way a 'pink' convict 'should' look. the yellow one, probably only looks yellow because of some artifice in the tank such as yellow gravel or the way your film projects yellow under certain lighting conditions. if it is in fact 'yellow' .. than (1) i've NEVER seen or heard of a yellow convict and (2) suspect a cross with a yellow midas cichlid.

surely those are not the same fish as in the first photo's? ?????

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I think the pink convict is picking up yellow color from the substrate.

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito
the second one looks very similar to the Cyrtocara moorii "Blue Dolphin" because of the nuchal hump on the head. someone else might have something in it. And the first I cant tell because of the mostly front view only:dance2: . What color is the first one..looks yellowish
As you can see I did not say it WAS a blue dolphin and I also said someone else might have something in it. so SHHHEEESSSHHH:(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store