Cichlid ID please :)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
second one looks very similar to the Cyrtocara moorii
this is Cyrtocara moori ... if the second one looks anything like it, you need new glasses. ;)

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito
:bowing: :bowing:

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
well, you're 100 percent wrong. there is no 'yellow' convict and pink convicts do NOT look yellow. you guys toss guesses around like flower petals at a wedding, but have no idea what fish you're talking about.
first of all, the entire picture was yellow, not just the convict..second..i have been breeding convicts for over 10 years, i was not GUESSING, i know what convicts look like..the second one is a typical healthy good quality male convict, i have had HUNDREDS look like this.

they are both convicts, 100%

and about yellow convicts..

this is a "yellow convict" it is of the Cryptoheros genus, and it a "cousin" to the regular convicts

308[1].jpg

Last edited:

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
I think people need to think before they respond sometimes. It's certain "tones" present in this thread that have driven me away from this place.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
I think people need to think before they respond sometimes. It's certain "tones" present in this thread that have driven me away from this place.
I Agree......:)

mystic1

AC Members
Mar 31, 2007
I see no harm in guessing. I actually took everyones guess one at a time and googled them to see if I agreed with anyone. It is a good way to start recognising dirrerent traits so one can become more familar and educated. I need a lot more education when it comes to being able to identify certain species.
NOW if someone was asking because they wanted to place 2 fish together, or was noticing health problems or it was a safety issue for the other tank mates then I agree that one should be careful when guessing.
Take the hints and guesses and research from there. We all know that if we do not know what type/species it is then we also don't know the proper way to care for it.

mee-mee

my baby...RUSTY
Mar 2, 2007
MN..state bird:: mosquito
I still learn about health and caring of fish, and I certainly would not throw a huge guess like that into the wind. As for guessing about cichlids, if someone makes a guess and they are not right then just say it could be wrong. But dont bash people for making guesses. And I am still learning alot about cichlids. I google just like you said and I find all kinds of cichlids that look remotely the same. And if it isnt the one asking to be i.d'd then that is okay. Just make a simple comment about it looking like a different fish.

Astramorgaine

AC Members
Feb 6, 2007
Southern Indiana
I didn't want to start a guessing riot! I just needed some input :)
The little guy is indeed yellow with an orange hue on the underbelly. I found out with a visit to the pet store that the pink ones were convicts... They had some little guys for sale. The ones I bought are huge compared to those! Anyhow, thanks everyone for all the help! I don't know what I'd do sometimes without all of you! Thanks again! :)

jonah

new old member
Dec 1, 2002
Oklahoma
petsforum.com
first of all, the entire picture was yellow, not just the convict..second..i have been breeding convicts for over 10 years, i was not GUESSING, i know what convicts look like..the second one is a typical healthy good quality male convict, i have had HUNDREDS look like this.

they are both convicts, 100%

and about yellow convicts..

this is a "yellow convict" it is of the Cryptoheros genus, and it a "cousin" to the regular convicts
I've never seen one of those before. What's the species name? It's very striking in appearance.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
it is in fact Cryptoheros nanoluteus a completely different species. a convict cichlid is Cryptoheros nigrofasciatus. you can call it anything you want, including 'yellow convict' but that doesn't make it so. there are many species in the Cryptoheros genus ... that doesn't make them all cousins. please Google Cryptoheros nanoluteus and learn something about nomenclature.

my thoughts on guessing. if you have something to contribute in a post like this one looking for an ID, than by all means do so. but making wild guesses just makes no sense. shall i call the yellow fish in question a yellow tang, or perhaps Neolamprologus leleupi because they are yellow like the one in the picture? shall i call it a Geophagus steindachneri because it happens to have a 'hump'?

making a 'guess' should be based on some knowledge of the fish in question and those that might look like it. do some Googling BEFORE you post some off the wall guess and eliminate those species that clearly don't fit the profile of the picture which is posted.

ok, perhaps i've come across a little strong here ... i apologize to those i've miffed ... but i've been breeding cichlids for over 40 years and it really irks me when people toss around names of fish without having the slightest idea what they're talking about. nomenclature, identification and the like is a science not some vague look alike image.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store