Cichlid with bulging eye :(

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
I've never heard of or tested for hardness! And I have NO CLUE what type of rock I have... Can you give me more info on that??? I feel better about the Ph. I think the coral keeps it high- no idea what my rocks do to the tank. Thats something to watch!!! You've been a WEALTH of info Pittbull. Thank you!

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Cool thanks for the comment my friend.. yeah GH - general hardness there is a test kit for it you can get it on test strips which i do not recommend and there is liquid test kits for KH/GH made by API and are more accurate..

If you believe your coral is keeping the PH higher than possibly your GH is higher as well these water properties work hand and hand.. well mostly that is..

I will have to go back and look at your rock in the photo but yep limestone and Texas holey rock are good buffers with GH

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Sorry i cant help you on the rock ID maybe take a photo and post it for an ID..

efors

AC Members
Jun 17, 2008
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Wow! The forgetfull guy with the dogie name has given here a great lesson about pH and hardness for cichlids.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
:lol::lol: :evil_lol::evil_lol: :banhim: Thanks buddy..

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Just chiming in here. Pit is right, the salt is not needed really just an extra expense that you could do with out. As for your pH...sounds good to me, if it is maintaining a steady 8.0 I wouldn't worry to much about it. Pretty much as long as it stays stable you are good it is when it changes that you may have a problem ;)

As for de-chlors...really I find it is more a personal prefrence. The slime coat is a good one I agree, I used Prime in my tanks (it has a weird smell though) what I liked best about it though was the fact so little went so far. Personally I don't use any now..but that is because I have well water here and there is no Chlorine or Chloramine in it. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3974+4057&pcatid=4057
Another I hear quite a bit about around here is Amquel Plus....http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3974+4045&pcatid=4045

Your main thing to look for is that is removes Chloramine and Chlorine along with the heavy metals.

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Thanks guys!! :) I'll be stopping by the LFS this weekend to trade in the meds I didnt use for some chlorine remover. I've also been doing some reading up on hardness of water. I'll take pics tonight and post 'em in a thread for identifying the rocks I am using. I think they are lace rock but I'll take pics.

:cheers:

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
Good luck hun!!!

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Like Lady G said really if your water is not full of chlorine and chloramines than you wouldn't really need a dechlor but if your on treatment water more than likely you have them present what you could do is call your local water company and ask them to mail you a test % sheet on what they add to their water for treatment wise or go on line to google your area..

If your on well water you can get a sample and send it in to a lab but will cost you.. i just recommend stress coat as for its my fave but i like prime as well but i dont like the sulfer smell it gives off..

VivaLaVics

*blub bubble*
Oct 3, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
Great idea! I've contacted my water supply peeps. I think "Big Yellow" is a clutz... he ran into the rock in the hospital tank and scraped up his left side... I took the rock out. So here goes yet another month for the scrape to heal up- his eye looks great thanks to ya'll's help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store