cichlids keep getting bloat

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
There's someone on here that sells it in the classifieds I think I remember seeing. I buy it at my local swaps, and if I can't make it to a swap and I'm in a bind, there's also some on aquabid.

Just Prince

AC Members
Nov 2, 2007
Petco sells NLS. The Pellets are small and the sinking type. I am about the try Seachem Garlic guard a liquid that foods can be soaked in. a cheaper remedy for garlic treatment is just plain old garlic juice if you can find it in a store in your area. Garlic is the "active" ingredient in Thera A and Garlic Guard.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Too much work to get a mix and if this is your first try at garlic i would strongly advise you to start with the NLS Thera try calling some close by pet shops including the chain shops as well if no success try aquabid.com, eBay or here on AC mike dunagan sells it as well.. I get my NLS form him and Bobby..

rockhoe14er

AC Members
Jul 19, 2010
Richmond VA
Real Name
Sean
i actually checked my foods and found out that i have 75 grams of NLS thera .5mm sinking pellets. I guess i can feed them this.

So little update. I have 3 demasoni's that don't seem to be eating. two are slightly bloating and the other I believe is a female that just hides a lot. I don't believe she is holding fry because i can't see any bulge in her mouth.

Any ideas of what i can do?

I didn't feed them any food yesterday and i'm going to feed them for 3 days then off one and soo on.

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
Sorry to hear they're not getting any better. I have tried both Clout (very harsh med) and Epsom Salt, but never successfully cured a fish from bloat. However, like I said, since switching to the NLS 1mm pellets, I haven't had any issues in a really long time. I really recommend you change your food. Sometimes just the size of the food and overfeeding can make a difference, but there are so many things that can cause it.
I was once told by a local tropheus breeder, they cured bloat on a fish by treating with Jungle Pond Fungus Eliminator (powder) and Jungle Parasite Clear (fizz tablet) at the same time, usaging the recommended dosages on the packaging. Food was withheld for about 5 days during treatment.
Hope your fish recover for you.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
With an assumption that all parameters are w/in acceptable ranges, wont bother asking but worth checking and record if you havnt.

Although had faced with Malawi Bloat with few Mbunas, I had worse experiences with T. moorii from Lake Tang back in late 80's and early 90's. However, I pretty much eradicated these problems when I realized that they maybe taking too much food at one time as these are grazers. Either reduce amt of its intake per feeding or break up same amt into two or three smaller feedings, making it easier for them to digest per feeding.

For Mbunas, I usually mixed-in bit of Hi-Pro flakes to spirulina and veggie flakes and had no issues as long as they did not stuff their faces. Upon arrival of duro flakes (early 90's), these hard corn flake type of flakes yielded lot less occurences of bloating which I credited to their hardness which may have contributed longer time to chew and such prevented overeating per feeding, compared to thin standard flakes which they will guzzle up as much as they can in no time. Good-bye to these thin standard flakes forever since....

For T. moorii, I strictly stayed with spirulina/veggie duro flakes combos.

Hope this helped a bit

rogersb

AC Members
Apr 9, 2008
I had great luck with clout the two times I needed it. I used it on ym tropheus and gobies though, so no first hand experience with the malawis.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Epsom salts and Clout will be a good remedy not sure on the dosage of Epsom salts though and i wouldn't feed while treating the tank, But the smaller size portions of foods is right on with Herbivores once you start again..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store