Cichlids with Live plants

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

isaac newton

AC Members
Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
Kinda a newb question, but is it possable to have live plants with them?? From what ive seen the tanks holding cichlids are quite rocky.. Does keeping cichlids require very high ph?

dcallen

The Spurs: World Champs again!
May 6, 2003
Texas
Visit site
Cichlids for the most part tend to tear up or eat plants, so while live plants look really good I don't think they are necessarily the best thing to put in a Cichlid tank, some may rebuff me on this. Cichlids like a higher Ph level. The Africans that I keep like it at or above 8.0. I keep my Ph at about 8.2 to 8.3. Some species of Cichlid like a lower Ph closer to neutral but still on the alkaline side say around 7.5 or so. Good luck.

Cloud-9

AC Members
May 11, 2003
Reidsville, GA
Visit site
Plants and Cichlids

I have kept a planted cichlid tank (55 gallon) with an orange pike cichlid, green terror, and a synodontis species. It wasn't what you would call an attractive tank. Most of the plants were of the floating variety, like Java Moss. I also had Anubias and Java Ferns tied to rocks and driftwood. The answer is yes. You can have plants and cichlids, but you have to choose your plants carefully. This might not work with plant-eating cichlids.

I'm assuming that you're interested in keeping South American and Central American cichlids and not Rift Lake Africans. Plants generally prefer soft, slightly acid water. They would not do well in a hard water, alkaline tank. The exception might be the Java Moss.

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Re: Plants and Cichlids

Originally posted by Cloud-9
The exception might be the Java Moss.
Among hundreds, maybe even thousands, of others found within the aquarium trade. Any good book on Tanganyikans lists a half-dozen to a dozen cheap and hardy plants well-suited to those aquaria.

jimbo

Just love those creatures
May 12, 2003
The Netherlands
Visit site
African cichlids from the “Rift Lakes” require a relatively high pH
8.4 for Cichlids from Lake Malawi… up till 9 for those from Lake Tanganyika.
In water conditions like this, most plants will not survive.
High pH levels automatically means very low CO2 levels, which is good for fish but not for plants. The plants I have in my 120 gall are: Anubia barteri, Anubia nana and Vallisneria. So if you’re aim is Africans cichlids, these are the plants to look for. I don't have any experience with South or Central American cichlids/tanks so I will leave that for somebody else to answer.

Jimmy

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Isaac, I didn't see this in the original post, but many Cichlids will die with high pH...there's not a cut-and-dry pH for Cichlidae as a family, but individual species have their preferred ranges...dcallen, think about the blackwater species from South America and some of the riverine species from Africa, and you will see that your statement has a limited amount of truth.

Jimbo, I agree that many of the fish mentioned require high pH, and that there are few plants that can withstand such conditions, but they are there in force, and not just limited to one species.

The answer: it depends on the fish--not all Cichlids tolerate high pHs, not all of them live on rocky surfaces, and definitely not all of them will be able to be kept with plants for one reason or another.

Once you narrow it down, Isaac, we can help you a little more with the specifics.

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Depends on the cichlids. I have many different dwarf cichlids in my 72 gallon planted tank and they don't bother the plants at all.

Other cichlids - putting plants in would be like adding an all you can eat salad bar to your tank

So it really depends on what cichlids you plan to keep

jimbo

Just love those creatures
May 12, 2003
The Netherlands
Visit site
Chilldawg, but could you please explain this sentence for me:
"but they are there in force, and not just limited to one species"
I can't make anything of it. (I'm Dutch) Thanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store