Cinder Block Stand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
In that link, she built it that way for a 55, which is about 5 inches shorter, front to back, than a 75. It's basically a modular template that you can take and refine to fit your tank needs. I like the = sign layout because it'll support the long sides entirely, while the plywood will distribute the weight pretty well. Then again, when looking at stands, I tend to over think and over engineer, I think.

Another thing you can consider is that there are some heavy duty shelving units out there that'll hold 1000 pounds per shelf. A 75 is typically in the neighborhood of 900 pounds full. It won't be as pretty as an actual tank stand, but will fall between the cinder block stand and an actual designed tank stand in pricing.

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
I searched around and cinder block is my only option being that I am moving tomorrow, so I basically have to get the cinder blocks build today. The cinder block thing will not be permanent, probably only up to next month or so until I am able to buy a real stand. I even called local fish stores and the largest they go is to a 55 gallon wooden or metal. My next option is online, but by time I order it and receive it, it probably will be next week. I don't even know where I would start looking for a shelving unit. Do you mean something like this? How confident are you that, that can hold the tank? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5-Shelf-48-in-W-x-78-in-H-x-24-in-D-Silver-Steel-Storage-Shelving-Unit-MR482478W5/203828250#.Ub8jgJwuers.

Last edited:

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
That rack you linked is supposed to be able to hold 1000 pounds per shelf, as long as it's well spaced. It'd be better if you could find one that could be built as 2 different stands (I didn't thoroughly read that, so it may be able to), one with 2 and one with 3 shelves, because a 75 is going to be something like a quarter inch too much on each end, so if it's on top, it can hang over just fine. Then again, being 24 inches deep, you'll probably be able to center the tank between the corners since you'll have extra space to play with. I'm considering one that looks very similar, but is black.

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
Okay guys cinder blocks is 100% out of the question. I went to my new house to check the leveling. The leveling of the floor would not hold a 75 gallon let alone a 75 gallon on cinder blocks. I'm going to sell my 75 gallon and get 2 40 gallon breeders and spilt my fish up. Not one area in that house is level enough to hold a 75 gallon on a proper stand.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
If you don't have the time, space and money for a stand in the midst of the move, why not just keep the fish in plastic storage totes with heat and filtration until you can do the setup properly and exactly how you want. IMO, doing a cement block setup is silly if it's only for a short time unless you had all the stuff to do it on hand already.

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
I have 2 20 gallons (empty), and a 29 gallon that I can temp. house them in for a month or so. I have a lot of tanks :) All I have is 4 schools of Tetras, 2 schools of Cories, Harlequin, and Swordtails in my 75 gallon. I also have 2 10s, 5, and a 2.5 g. I'll figure out what I am going to do with that 75 gallon later. My new house sits on a slope, so trying to find a level place is going to be annoying. I didn't think this stuff out until a week before it was time to move. Now I'm moving tomorrow.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If they fit, and are well supported, I can't see a reason why it wouldn't be.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Yep..should be fine. I used to put 4 20's on that type stand. Put plywood across the top and bottom....worked great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store